DRB Rear Belt problem

Post any modifications that you have to get your drivetrain and gearing setup get the most angle out of your chassis.
Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB SSG 80%, Yokomo MR4-TC BD 67%

DRB Rear Belt problem

Postby Carr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 am

I noticed a bit of a problem with my car last night. I seem to be fraying the inner side of my rear belt. I am not sure what may be causing it but I have noticed that the belt does move from side to side when going backward or forwards. The only spot I can see that may be causing the fraying is the bottom front pulley, but if I try to move it over, then I must move the front belt pulley too and it is already very close to the edge. I have also made sure that the belt isn't too tight. Any ideas?
Yokomo DRB SSG Hyper - 100% CS - Yokomo BL-Pro2 + Zero 8.5t - Yokomo Low Profile
Yokomo MR4-TC BD - 132% CS (pending new belt) - Novak Slydr 6.5t - Hitec
HPI Pro-D - 83% CS - eZrun 9T - Bluebird - FSC (semi retired)

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Re: DRB Rear Belt problem

Postby tokeyo83 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:50 am

pitures?
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:54 am

Here are a couple of pics for you. You can't really see where the belt is starting to frey, but there are about 5 threads coming off the centre side of the belt. This is also after I adjusted the pulley positions toward the spur gear a little. In the second picture, you can soft of see one thread above the top pulley and 1 in between them. It isn't going to strip or cut the belt at this stage, but I would prefer to sort it out before it happens.

Yokomo DRB SSG Hyper - 100% CS - Yokomo BL-Pro2 + Zero 8.5t - Yokomo Low Profile

Sir Slide Alot
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby Sir Slide Alot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:23 am

It's from the side right? not the teeth?

i got that too.

i heard something between two other racers about glueing the sides of belts but i didn't mingle in the conversation. i should have. :Think:
...Why so much smoke... Because drift car...

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 am

Yeah, it does look like the side of the belt and not the teeth.

I am not sure about glueing the side, wouldn't it make it more brittle and easier to break? I am hoping it is just from the belt wearing in and stretching a little causing some short strands to come loose.

Sir Slide Alot
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Sir Slide Alot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

i dont know witch glue to use but it must obviously stay flexible when dried in order to work.
...Why so much smoke... Because drift car...

Joshy T
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo LCG - DRB SSG Hyper

Postby Joshy T » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 am

both of mine have given off a couple threads on the side of the belts, i havent really thought anything of it, i just bought spare belts :D

also, what tires are those?

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 am

Update on my belt problem. I shredded a belt last week, it jumped off the front pulley and messed up a bunch of teeth. With a bit of playing around, I noticed that when in reverse, the belt moves to the centre of the chassis at the bearing tensioner above the motor and can sometimes come off the side making the belt loose and easy to slip or come off completely. At the moment, I have just put a washer/shim on the end so it is harder for it to happen but am very suprised that this is happening in the first place.

I have double checked the manual and am certain that I have put it together correctly, I even tried to loosen and tighten the nut holder the bearings all with no change. The bearings are spinning freely and all the pulleys are in a direct line, yet it still happens.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or have any idea how to fix it?

SpeedFreak
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby SpeedFreak » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 am

I have seen the problem on more chassis. May try to put the belt in turned around. Ik looks like there is some stretch on the belt.

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for the idea. The problem is still occurring with the new belt too. I made sure I didn't make it too tight so it didn't stretch, but not too loose. I have made it as loose as I can without the top and bottom of the belt getting too close above the battery, they are very close when using the 2.0cs axle.

I was thinking that I might try and bend the tensioner up a bit so the open side is higher than the hole where it mounts. Maybe this will reduce the amount it moves and stop it coming off.

SpeedFreak
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby SpeedFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:39 am

Some question came to my mind when I look very close at your pictures.

How did you mount the lower front tensioner form the rear belt.

screw, 2 shims, 3 bearings, 2 shims, lock-nut

In my DRB package there was an update in a lose bag.
But My DRB was the Blue/Black limited. And I addes the HYPER motor mount later.
So I could use the very flat nut on the rear tensioner.

Than you put it like this.
Screw, very flat nut. 3 bearings, 2 shims, lock-nut.

Whit that flat nut you fix the screw in place. So it has no play at all.
I think you did'nt have that nut. So you fix the screw with the locknut. And that cant be to tight because the bearings must run smooth. So, maybe that little play cause the belt coming of?
Because when reversing the power is on the lower tensioner.

I'm not at home right now, Otherwise I have some pictures of my DRB.

Let me hear if this helps you.

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks for the reply, I think I understand what you mean. With the Hyper, there was an extra sheet for the manual wnd extra bags of parts. The tensioner is a 2 sided bolt that screws into the alloy and then I follewed the instrictions for the arrangement of the shims and bearings. I haven't tried to chwnge this around yet, but will double check it is correct. I have tried making the bearings very loose with the nut, also very tight but with the bearings still able to spin freely. I still get the same result.

I have found that this occurs in reverse because the bottom is under tension which pulls the belt tighter on the tensioner. As to why it slides off the side has got me totally confused. This is why I was thinking of bending the tensioner up so the belt has to (for lack of a better term) slide up hill. I would only do this as a last resort as I don't like to modify things unless I have to.

SpeedFreak
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby SpeedFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:57 am

Sorry if i'm not very clear, englisch isn't my home language :oops:

I think I know why I could do what I have done.

I have the normal DRB and bought the HYPER motormount later.

I will now talk about the both tensioners of the rear belt. I call them the upper and lower front tensioners of the rear-belt. Where your belt make a 90 dgr turn.

I used the flat nut on the lower tensioner. Because thisone is replaced by the two-side screw fixed in the HYPER motormount.

That flat nut is pictured here:

That silver flat nut. I used that instead of the both shims on the inside on my lower front rear-belt tensioner.
You get is by the replacemt tensioner parts.
This nut was added later to my kit in separated bag.

The other options you can use and try I can think of are:
Bigger bearings with 8; 9 or 10 mm outside (also provided by Yokomo)

Or use flanged bearings (not provide by yokomo I think).

Or a part witch I would be like to use form the rear rear-belt tensioner. That silver part instead of the 3 bearings.

Blue: DRB-RBTS
Red: DRR-RBTS

I don't tried or measure if it would fit though, but because the turning angle is bigger it should also run smoother. And with the side walls your belt stays on.

ILoveMy350z
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: yokomo sdw

Postby ILoveMy350z » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I have the red drb and have this problem too. From what I have been told by a few different people is that yokomo released a belt tensioner that should fix this problem.
http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.com/ ... ts_id=2877
check this out. the tension takes the load off the lower front 3 bearings together for a smoother lock in place glide when switching from forward to reverse. my belt will slip off completely when switching to reverse.
I am also looking into the OD motor mount.
http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.com/ ... ts_id=3155
This looks like it would fix it as well as the tensioners are reversed from the stock yokomo motor mount. so when the belt pulls to the left looking at the car from its front, it can't fall off and the brace is on the left. This parts seems to be hard to get though. if anyone can find please let me know.
If anyone has used the belt tensioner as well please let us know if it actually fixes this problem.
Also it seems that people that use a strong brushless system seem to have this belt slipping issue more than others with weak more moderate power systems.
hope this helps a little.
A practitioner is someone who practices until they get it right, A perfectionist is someone who practices until they never get it wrong.....

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I do know about the belt stabilizer, but the problem is that they haven't released it for the SSG, only in black carbon. It wouldn't look right if I put that on.

I managed to work around the problem by just putting a washer or shim on the outside of the tensioner. This stopped the belt from sliding off the side. I haven't had any problems with the belt fraying since i put it on.

Return to “Drivetrain/ Gearing”