HSP ONE WAY MOD

Post any modifications that you have to get your drivetrain and gearing setup get the most angle out of your chassis.
$1d3w4y$
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: EagleRacing R31-16FM, Tamiya TA03F, TEH-R31

HSP ONE WAY MOD

Postby $1d3w4y$ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

so I wanted to install a One Way unit in the front diff of my HSP FlyingFish and because there is no real upgrades for this chassis, this is what I had to do...... :ugeek:

It was only by chance that I found a chassis manual for the OFNA LD3 (nitro) and when looking at it I noticed that wheel bearings and spacings were simular (not exact) to the HSP chassis. So I ordered the OFNA ONE WAY KIT (OFNA Part# 38410) and also a set of the OFNA FRONT CVA/CVD (OFNA Part# 38269).

When they arrived I was happy to see that the OFNA CVA/CVD ends were an exact match to the HSP but the overall length was slightly smaller. That didn't matter because the OFNA One Way unit was wider than the HSP diff and it also had slightly longer diff/dogbone cups. So Like I had done on my CS MOD (yokomo FCD unit) I knew that by shaving the diff cass I could make the One Way unit fit.

So I pulled apart the front diff of the HSP and removed the Main Diff Gear. To attach the HSP main diff gear to the one way unit I needed to drill out the center to fit over the oneway. I also had to grind down the centre of the HSP main diff gear so that the gear would sit flat on the one way unit.

This is what the gear looked like before I attacked it

And this is what it looked like once I had finished

To get to this stage I ground the back of the gear down to remove the 4mm spot that the diff cup sits in until it was gone (back now flat). Then I found a drill with the same dimensions/size/diameter as the one way unit and drill out the gear. On first try I nearly fried my drill bit so I used a smaller drill bit an gradually increased in size until I reached to desired result. The gear is made of very tough metal and you will need to apply water to the end of the drill bit when drilling ( I did melt one bit :roll: ). Also take time to ensure that the new hole is kept central to the Main diff gear otherwise you will end up with a crazy woble/uneven gear when it rotates in the diff.

Ok so you've drilled the hole next step is to remove the center of the HSP diff gear so it can be attached on the OFNA One way unit. You will notice on the pic of the original main diff gear that there is a small ring/edge that is visible directly behind the hole for the diff screws.

This is the edge that you need to grind out/down and you will need a dremel grind head to do this. It is the only tool I could find to get into such a small spot. Grind down/out the metal so it is now flat in the center out to the edge marked in red above.

should look something like this

As you will notice in the pics above, I have already placed the OFNA One Way unit into the space now provided from grinding out the main diff gear and drill out for new holes to match the oneway unit. This was tricky to do I used the OFNA main diff gear that came with the kit and laid the HSP and OFNA diff gears back to back, making sure that the centre was lined up. Then I marked the HSP gear buy using a very small drill (two person job 1 hold 1 drill) placed through the OFNA gear to and drilled small centre marks. You can now drill your new hole in the positions you have marked. Make sure you check and re-check positioning of each new hole after drilling the previous one because the holes are so small (7/64 bit size) the slightest movement can prevent them from lining up. As you will notice in the pic below my bottom two holes needed to be steched slightly because I was out a little.

'Once you have drilled the holes make sure you counter sink the back so the screws sit flat

Then you should be able to screw the one way gear into place. If you can't just grind out anything that is in your way, ensurine that you stay central and that the center remains flat.

next step is to place it in the diff housing this is the easy part. Just like in my counter steer mod I shaved/sanded out the small lip that holds the HSP diff bearings inplace.

Because the OFNA one way unit is wider that the HSp diff center the bearings will be held in place by the diff case like a bearing in a skateboard wheel. So I ensured that the sanded area was just slightly smaller than the bearing so that the preasure holds it in. Sand to much and the bearing will just fall out or slide left and right which will make gears chew.

Normal diff and new oneway diff, you can see the one way diff and cups are alot wider don't stress

The OFNA CVA/CVD and slightly smaller/shorter than the HSP UNI's and suit this mod perfectly.
And as you can see the ends match perfectly :D

now it's just a matter of putting it all back together. |O| :up: :up:

IF YOU HAVE DONE MY OR ANY OTHER STEERING MODS IT"S NOT OVER YET FOLLOW BELLOW

I found with my steering mod that the steering arm was now hitting the diff cups because they are now longer so I just ground down the cups to 25mm in length which solved the problem. I just ground down the cup until the internal bevelled edge disappeared and it turned out to be 25mm. If you do this you will need to use a drill or grinding head on the dremel to add the bevel edge to the internal side of the cup other wise the CVA/CVD will clip and chatter at any angle.

Ok now ya done put it all together and go hit thoughs tight drift corners with ya new e-brake one way set up. |O| |O|

I hope that this has helped anyone out with there HSP or simular chassis :up: :up: :up:

I didn't proof read so sorry for any small mistakes, it's 3am and I'm going to sleep :Shifty: ;)

Comments/Questions welcome

DK2B
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Drift Package Type C @ 1.8CS

Re: HSP ONE WAY MOD

Postby DK2B » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:14 am

Hey Mate,
I've been watching your HSP mods for a while now, as you're aware ;)

This is just the icing on the cake.

Once I've finished setting up my Yokomo properly, then I'm gonna finish attacking my Drift Star :)
I did actually purchase the new steering knuckles that you put me on to and also a set of those cheap CVDs, just to test them for myself.

I have been inspecting my steering angle again and you know what?? My wheels actually hit on the inside of the suspension arm. Did you have this issue at all??

I can post up a photo in your steering mod thread if that is okay, then you can see for yourseld and maybe advise me on how to get around it :)

Totally loving your work mate and your skills in mods are awesome :)

$1d3w4y$
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby $1d3w4y$ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 am

Ya post away

I'm also still perfecting everything with my HSP chassis and without factory Hop-up parts available I'm doing the best I can to MOD/improve it.

There will be things that I have missed, so the more input and feed back the better off everyone will be with these chassis. 8)

DK2B
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Drift Package Type C @ 1.8CS

Postby DK2B » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 pm

$1d3w4y$ wrote:Ya post away

I'm also still perfecting everything with my HSP chassis and without factory Hop-up parts available I'm doing the best I can to MOD/improve it.

There will be things that I have missed, so the more input and feed back the better off everyone will be with these chassis. 8)

Hey Mate,
I'm away from home at the moment, waiting to pick up my 1:1 after having the body kit fitted. Repairer is taking his sweet F**King time :down: :evil:

As soon as I get back home, I will upload the photos of the issue that I am experiencing, so that you may see what the issue is.

I think that it will come down to just customising certain elements as I go. I didn't think that there was a great deal of difference between the HSP and the Drift Star, but there must be minor differences.

I'm loving the challenge with this one, so will keep at it too :) :up:

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Exceed Driftstar (HSP Flying Fish)

Postby MackIV » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:49 pm

http://www.engagerc.com/servlet/the-368 ... -or/Detail

Hey have u seen this???? U think it will fit? Its made by hsp so its GOT to right!?!!?
Exceed Dritstar A.K.A. HSP Flying Fish
Tacon Brushless 540XL 4300kv
[STOCK]Hobbywing brushless 35A-SL
2s 40c/80burst Lipo
48p: 64T spur / 29T (steel) pinion

LSD SQUAD A.K.A. TEAM POSI
([LOCKED]LimXited[LOCKED]- Slip Differentials!)

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby MackIV » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 pm

2s 40c/80burst Lipo

$1d3w4y$
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby $1d3w4y$ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 am

MackIV wrote:Or this one?
http://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-nh3104.html

Sweet man thanks for showing me these, I would try this one for sure as it is only $9 and not to much to waste if it doesn't work/fit. The mod that I did is still working sweet and I use my car daily.

The one above looks to fit straight in but for the $60 you would want to be 100% sure

Cheers for adding more options, as these chassis get purchased more and more I'm sure HopUp parts will become available and mods will become a thing of the past. |O| :up: |O| :up: ;) ;)

NicoD
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: HSP Flying Fish1

Postby NicoD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 am

What's the point to have the one way mod installed on the drift car?
What difference will it make to the driving?

Thank you
Nico

valve_timing
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Drift Package type cm

Postby valve_timing » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 am

you need to do some research bro

NicoD wrote:What's the point to have the one way mod installed on the drift car?
What difference will it make to the driving?

Thank you
Nico

NicoD
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby NicoD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am

They allow the front tires to continue to spin when you apply the brakes or let off the throttle. You car loses its front wheel braking ability, which forces the rear wheels to do all the braking. This causes the rear wheels to lock up and lose traction, increasing the amount of steering entering corners.

Read more: How to Mod an Electric RC Drift Car | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6737309_mod-ele ... t-car.html

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby MackIV » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 pm

i was also informed that a Tamiya 53200 one way unit fits right into the differential w/out any modfications!!
2s 40c/80burst Lipo

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby MackIV » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Update, the $9 one from nitrorcx.com DOES NOT fit
2s 40c/80burst Lipo

NicoD
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby NicoD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey $1d3w4y$
can you do a video of you drifting with your HSP car to see how it improved the overall drifting experience please?
Thank you

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby MackIV » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:07 am

A few updates to the hsp one ways.

The one way diff from an hpi nitro3 drops in with no mods to the housing

And ebay has hsp one ways on sale now, just ebay search hsp one way
2s 40c/80burst Lipo

Return to “Drivetrain/ Gearing”