TT01 gettin counter steer!

Post any modifications that you have to get your drivetrain and gearing setup get the most angle out of your chassis.
dmski
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT01

TT01 gettin counter steer!

Postby dmski » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey all,

Figure i'd introduce myself and jump right in. 50/50 is boring. Nough said. After perusing around, i've decided to see if i can modify the TT01 to become a CS car like a few others on here. This is my first CS car and I know, I know, its a TT01, but with the amount of people that actually own TT01's, i figure if i get this to work, this can help others out to modify their cars before upgrading to something like a TA05 or yok. Plus, i wanted to see if i could do it cheaper than the available Active CS set. This will be an ongoing process so bear with me...

So far, I am aiming for about 50-60% CS. I am using an HPI 13t/10t bevel gear set bought off of ebay, (using on the 13t) and filling down the hub to fit. Fits nicely with very little filing.
IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

It should give me some underdrive up front, and i'll overdrive the rear using a 20t. Problem is, the 20t i've tried (hpi, and tamiya bevel in diff) are too wide and wont fit. I have also tried using the 10t, but it's too small to even touch the large 39t gear in the case, and i'm not completely willing to cut that apart because of gear mesh issues. It would give me 50% on the money with one gear underdriving the front, but its a last resort. Any thoughts on a gear that is 20t or higher that could swap be slightly modified to swap in? Opinions welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AwDamn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: x2 Tamiya TA-05 EGR

Re: TT01 gettin counter steer!

Postby AwDamn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 am

I have the most respect for those that can customize their own stuff like you are. But, wouldn't it be a lot easier just to get one of these?

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/dr ... gear-solid
All I have are a bunch of parts.......

.......and they aren't even the good ones.

dmski
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT01

Postby dmski » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 am

Haha so true! I've seen those around, but the goal here is cheap. So far i'm in 7 bucks. Granted, by the end of this i'll probably have spent way too much time and gone through more gears tryin to make it fit, but at the end, if there is two gears i can modify that are metal, then i hope they can last longer and work better than the Active set. If not... well i got the front set up at 3.0 ratio, and then could just add the Active set and get a final ratio of 76% (i think?) CS which is perfect.

Staszek
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: SDF

Postby Staszek » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:16 am

The best way to CS tt-01 is metal gears from yokomo. plastic sets is very hard to fit perfectly to not destroy them. actualy if U will get cs set from active or yokomo your speed on rear will be about 120km/h. its tooooo fast.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/sc ... es=landing
i changed gears for 64p module to have speed around 70km/h and its ok. hope it will help :p
Check us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ILLEGALD

dahrayyal
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Tamiya tt-01

Postby dahrayyal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Staszek wrote:The best way to CS tt-01 is metal gears from yokomo. plastic sets is very hard to fit perfectly to not destroy them. actualy if U will get cs set from active or yokomo your speed on rear will be about 120km/h. its tooooo fast.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/sc ... es=landing
i changed gears for 64p module to have speed around 70km/h and its ok. hope it will help :p

wait, so in the picture you use the yokomo metal gears, and is that the active middle shaft part shaved down to fit the gear? or if you can elaborate on the parts used besides the yokomo gears. :D

Staszek
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: SDF

Postby Staszek » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:12 am

yup its shaft from active kit. probalby you can fit any solid axle for tt-01.
Check us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ILLEGALD

DDJ
CSJ Elite
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA04 Evo-R & TT01 Active

Postby DDJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 am

Yeah it's true. The Active plastic gears get worn/destroyed easily. I've had a ring gear that only lasted 2 weeks. I'm actually using the plastic gears still and my current ring gear is still in good condition teeth-wise, but it's actually broken in 2 pieces lol. So far it's surviving, it's only broke once after a while (the screws holding the ring gear got loose causing vibration and the ring gear breaking in 2 again) so I just fixed it again. It teaches me to be smooth with my throttle and brake inputs since I don't want it to break again. I'm also using an HPI 13t bevel gear modded in the front and am running 67%. All gears are lubed to freakin' hell too lol

jaxbchbum
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT01D

Postby jaxbchbum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 pm

I believe they've made the newer CS gears a bit better than the previous ones.. I know I check after almost every drift session that my buddy and I have, they seem to be holding up pretty well.. I should mention I've got the Active 2.0 kit.. I probably shoulda gone with the 1.5 kit to start with, but meh..

valve_timing
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Drift Package type cm

Postby valve_timing » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 am

No they didn't I installed a set for a buddy installed to active hobby spec and they shattered

jaxbchbum
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby jaxbchbum » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:01 pm

I guess I'm just lucky then.. I haven't had any issues with my Active cs gears.. Now, did he get the 1.44, or one of the NEWER 1.5 or 2.0 versions?

NW Drift
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT-01E

Postby NW Drift » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Have you looked into the metal CS gears from Eagle?

jaxbchbum
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby jaxbchbum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:39 pm

The Eagle cs gears are made specifically for the Eagle Racing chassis.. Even though I have that chassis, I still need to use the Active Hobby gears since I changed the rotation of my motor by reversing the wires.. I didn't see much of a point in having to order new CS gears as well as a new front one way, just to use my $140 chassis.

NW Drift
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT-01E

Postby NW Drift » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Are you not running a sensored motor with a decent ESC so you can adjust your throttle instead of just reversing the polarity?

jaxbchbum
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby jaxbchbum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm running a Tazer 3300kv sensorless motor and Tazer ESC.. ESC doesn't have the function to reverse motor direction.. I coulda probably reversed the throttle through my controller, but since I had to connect the wires from the motor to the esc, I figured why go through hooking up the wires in the normal positions and the controller not reverse throttle, when I can just do what I know will work..

mxblaster292
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT01D Type-E

Postby mxblaster292 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 am

ik this post may be old. hopefully someone will reply. but i plan on buying the active 2.0 cs kit (I know it will break) so i can use the solid axle to put some metal gears on. only thing is dont have a clue on what gears to get. brand, Sizes ect.
TT01D Type-E 100% cs

Return to “Drivetrain/ Gearing”