What do you run & on what surface??

Discuss the best tires to use on different surfaces.
danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

What do you run & on what surface??

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, figured i might as well make use of this section of the forum and make the first post in it hahaha.

I run only on carpet (too lazy to clean nowadays, and love not having to replace tyres EVER :lol: ) and i run Street Jam Mediums... I find they have heaps of grip and are quite fast on carpet... My cars are usually pretty heavy with the packs i run, so a bit more grip is useful to me, plus the fact they look sweet =)

I have also found Square Hards and Driftdaddys to go pretty well too, and well-worn Treaded t-drifts are alright aswell, but t-drifts are juuust a little slippery for my cars...

What do you guys run, on what surface and why? What other tyres have you played with before you settled on what you're running now? :?:
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Luke CS-EVO
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: OTA-R31

Re: What do you run & on what surface??

Postby Luke CS-EVO » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 pm

TN219's only, no one really runs street jam heres for carpet and not mediums thats for sure, basically everyone wants to be the same speed.
If your car is too fast you cant battle with anyone and it only ends up working against you if your in a big drift train and you have to break or adjust your line all the time, people are big on trying to keep there cars speed to scale. So a 1/10 car drifting at 50kph on carpet is like its going 500kph in real life, loose example only.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:04 pm

I find I keep similar speed with the street jams, maybe slightly faster but not all that noticeable... Must be either the suspension setup or the heavy batteries i run in my car?

Most common tyres at skids are either square hards, drift daddys or some guys run t-drifts... Smooth and worn treaded...
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Kage
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: TT-01ED Midship

Postby Kage » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 am

I've been using T-drifts on carpet, because that's what they require in our comps out here and not to mention all you can get where I'm at is Tamiya drift tires and T-drifts.
*The views expressed above are those of Kage, and not necessarily shared by the CS Junkies Forum*
Bodyshells: Subaru STI,& Evo X
Chassis: TT-01 Active Midship/CS
ESC/Motor: Novak GTB & 8.5t

PS13Boy
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: TA05, TA03F, TT01

Postby PS13Boy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:54 pm

We all run Tamiya Super Drift Techs as control tyre for the comps here for the same reason Luke mentioned.
Battling is much closer/even when everyone is on the same tyre. Same tyre and weight means pretty much same corner speed.
We even find there's a slight advantage with new tyres, so most people buy new ones before each comp.
Tamiya stuff is easy to get here, it's a pretty good tyre on lots of surfaces, so that's what I and most others here run all the time.
Our tracks are mostly indoor polished/painted concrete, some painted mdf bits and sometimes outdoor asphalt carparks...

Valiant_012
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA-05vdf

Postby Valiant_012 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:34 am

Budget down here. HDPE pipe rings with the edges turned off. We use them on all surfaces.

Calzone
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05ERxCCCS

Postby Calzone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:47 am

Running R2Hobbies Fake T-drifts on tarmac and smooth concrete. The people who used to use the HPI T-drifts are now switching to the fake ones(most of them atleast). They're almost half the price from real ones.

waider
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05 SP type S (Square)

Postby waider » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:42 am

Don't you think they're more slippery than real T-drift?
Anyway it is what I thought after trying them but they were brand new and I haven't ran my chassis since then!
出来ないじゃないやらないだけど。

Calzone
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Calzone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:24 am

I'm not really feeling any difference, but ofcourse it can be different per tyre. I mean, they're fakes, you can't expect them to all have the same coumpound mix for that price :lol:

Sir Slide Alot
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Sir Slide Alot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 am

Now t-drift on polished concrete.

anyone tried zero one R2 on carpet?
...Why so much smoke... Because drift car...

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Yep, running that right now on the drb, they're a nice tread :)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

sangstahdorifuto
Site Mod
Site Mod
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster

Postby sangstahdorifuto » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:26 pm

at arai garage surface is smooth, so we can run kawada tires forever, but recently started using the new yok drift tires, they are nice on slippery surfaces

Sir Slide Alot
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Sir Slide Alot » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:35 am

I'm changing then, T-drift are horrible to mount. :evil:

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:12 pm

-lol- That's sorta why i stopped running t-drifts... Local fellas here started using squares, and they were really easy to take on or off right on the track with your hands, no glue necessary, and they don't slip off during runs either, so that's what sorta started me looking around to try new tires =)

Currently i am running on my cars...
*Drift Daddys
*Square Hards
*Street Jam Mediums
*TN Racing 219 carpet tires (cheers luke, these are great!! -lol-)
*Yokomo Zero One-R2

Drift Daddy treads are great... can be reversed to bring the tire wall inside the guard better, but have to be boiled to get on and off the rim... great fit otherwise, tight and don't slip on the rim... good mix of grip and slip on all surfaces and are scarily consistent... apart from having to boiled to get on and off the rim, these are in my top 3... only oe compound available, but working on another one coming soon i believe... last forever on bitumen, and even hold up well on brushed concrete... slightly quicker than a worn treaded t-drift...come in a pack of 4

The Street Jams are good, but a little quick on the carpet but consistent grip levels and good speed if you run a slower motor i spose, and some sets of tires can be inconsistent in their ID, causing a loose fit which requires them to be glued... Come in 2 different 'stretched' looks for both hard and medium compounds, so can probably still fit under a guard nicely even with massive offset and a narrow shell... Can't comment on wear as only run them on carpet so far... come in a pack of 4

Squares are a great tire too... consistent and one of the easiest tires to fit on a rim you will find... these slide right on... just dig your heel into the rim and she's a tight snug fit with no slip during a run... consistent grip, and a few compounds to choose from, with a great tire wall shape and good wear. These wear pretty well, and the hards are quite a bit faster than treaded t-drifts... maybe about the same as a brand new treaded t-drift on bitumen? Come in a pack of 4

The zero one-r2 treads are really nice on carpet... a nice low profile wall, and a really easy fitting tire - just slide on from the rear with your hands... pretty good grip, but cant comment on wear as only run on carpet... instructions say to use glue, but i found that unnecessary... grip from what i can tell is probably a tad less than the street jam mediums maybe? havent run these much yet... come in a pack of 2

The TN 219 carpet tires are pretty sweet... they come in a pack of 4, so good value and also include a roll of thin foam to stick to your rims which keeps the tire very snug on the rim... a little tight to mount, but all done with hands no problems... only run these on carpet, so not sure on wear, but great grip... probably close to a square hard i reckon, but again, only run these once or twice so far...

I'm enjoying trying different tires - it's interesting to see just how much of a difference tire choice actually makes for different surfaces and drivers.
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Sir Slide Alot
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Sir Slide Alot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 am

Good info right there.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 am

Small update on the Zero-One R2's...

I found with a bit more use with the Yokomo Zero One R2's, (in this video) that they're a bit sensitive to temperature... After a couple minutes to cool slightly after a run, i took temps of 80/82F on the front, and 90/92F on the rear, and they ran a bit slippery... but from about 93/95F on the front, and 103/105F in the rear, and they grip much more... they did however stay pretty consistent once they were up to running temp tho... this was on marine carpet...

Here's a quick raw video of the very first drive today... sorry about the quality, only had the iPhone with me...
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:49 pm

what are you guys running on somewhat rough concrete surface that has a good balance of tire life(due to CS camber) alot of slip (prefer for my small space) and easy to mount/take off?

Ive run T drift-too much grip....New Yok drifts...still abit grippy....and ABS better but grippy prob due to surface and with massive camber the tire life is very short...

Open to suggestions... :up:

Crankhank
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Crankhank » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:18 am

My opinion and expiriences about such surfaces is, run ABS. I`m not sure about some tires with less grip than ABS. ;)

Davis
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA06 D-Spec & R-OTA R31

Postby Davis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 am

In Germany we are usually using PE(Water)Tube, which luckily is an exact fit to most rims. Since the tube is sold by the meter, a set of four tires comes to about one buck and a bit of cutting. - So a short lifespan and lots of camber on rough surfaces is quite affordable ^^ - I am not sure if those tubes are available in the States, however, there are some guys here in Germany producing and selling those tires for 5-6€ a set.

I never tried ABS tires, but as far as I read, the ABS is quite porous, which probably results in more grip. PE is less porous and pretty tough and therefore lasts much longer as well.

Calzone
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Calzone » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 am

We used to run PE herein holland too, but PE takes so much of your speed away on surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Thats why almost everyone is using R2Hobbies T-Drifts now.

Crankhank
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Crankhank » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 am

Oh, i thought that ABS is the same like PE!?
So may be you could get some PE`s and you`ll Drift a long time, even on rough surfaces.

Davis
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Davis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 am

Calzone wrote:We used to run PE herein holland too, but PE takes so much of your speed away on surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Thats why almost everyone is using R2Hobbies T-Drifts now.

That´s the thing with the PE tires, they slide great, but are terribly slow. As long as you are drifting on a small track they are great, but running on large surfaces looks kind of silly ^^. - I´ll have to give those R2 tires a try as well. Thanks for the tip.

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks for info...seems like PE is the way to go with my tiny basement space...

Dont care too much about speed since its a small spot and will get me to improve my control and tune the chassis better...once it gets warmer (and no snow) ill be hitting the courts again :)
PolyEthaline pipes are harder to come by around the my state so not sure but maybe on internet I can source some...Thanks fellas

Davis
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Davis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am

Calzone wrote:We used to run PE herein holland too, but PE takes so much of your speed away on surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Thats why almost everyone is using R2Hobbies T-Drifts now.

I tested some of those tires out today and they are great. Nobody should call the "fake" T-drifts anymore, since they are running completely different. I actually prefer those tires over the HPI ones. :lol: ... What kind of tire thread do you advise? - I ordered the slicks, but am willing to try out some variations. What about those diamond shaped tires on R2?

Return to “Tires”