HSP CS MOD using YOKOMO GEARS

Post your full Counter-Steer setup specs here.
$1d3w4y$
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: EagleRacing R31-16FM, Tamiya TA03F, TEH-R31

HSP CS MOD using YOKOMO GEARS

Postby $1d3w4y$ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:58 am

Ok so I went and brought a YOKOMO FCD 2.0 to try and get my HSP FlyingFish counter steerings. The reason for buying the Yokomo part was 1) HSP has no upgrades and 2) I'd seen it done on you tube, so without even knowing how I was going to install it I ordered one. *-|

First things that I noticed when it arrive was the solid diff with my bearings attached was to wide for the HSP diff housing (bearings didn't slot in). Secound thing was that the Yokomo Drive gear (srew in) attached differently to the drive shaft than the HSP drive gear (sirclip). Also the Yokomo diff gear was a lot smaller (20t) and beacuse of this the Yokomo drive gear on the original HSP drive shaft wouldn't mesh.

REMEMBER WHEN PULLING ANYTHING APART TAKE NOTE OF ALL PARTS AND POSITIONS, HAVE A USER MANUAL HANDY IF AVAILABLE

So here is what I had to do to get around all these issues and install this mod

First I shaved out the plastic lip on the HSP diff that the diff bearings sit in. I made sure that I didn't remove to much because the only thing that will be holding the bearings inplace from now on will be the preasure from the diff housing when screwed together. The bearings don't slip sideways when diff housing is closed they are fix in place like a bearing in a skateboard wheel.

I also took apart the Yokomo Solid diff and just shaved down the backside of the diff gear by 1mm this prevented the diff gear from rubbing on the housing.

once I had done this I knew exactly where the diff gear would sit and then I could find the final position needed for the Drive Gear. The original HSP drive shaft is to short for the Yokomo Drive Gear to mesh correctly, So I just made a new one. I found a bolt that had the same dimentions (width) and cut out the length that I needed. I used a small cutting wheel attached to my Dremel tool to do all my shaping.

WEAPON OF CHIOCE

Cut the bolt to get the shaft I needed

It was very easy to shape each end of the new drive shaft to fit the Yokomo gear and the HSP Main Shaft Cup. I just shimmed each side down till I found the right size to slip the Drive Gear / Main shaft cup inplace.

The Yokomo drive gear attaches by a small screw in the center of the shaft so drill a hole to fit a small screw that you will need to find ( I used a small brushless motor mount screw from a plane out runner). remember drill the hole smaller than the thread so it will create it's own thread when srewed in the shaft.

To drill the hole for the Spur Gear pin I matched up the exact spot with the original shaft. The grove for the sirclip was a little harder, I placed the shaft into a drill and while a mate was slowiy pulling the trigger to slowly spin the drill/shaft I pressed down gentley with a hack saw blade until i create the grove about 1mm deep. Mark the grove position with a permanent marker, you don't need to go the whole way around because you will see the line when it spins in the drill.

You will need to know which grove suits the spur your using or just do both positions.

Because the Drive Shaft is now longer you will need to add more spacing washers to prevent any movement, any movement will make the gears miss and chew.

Simply just put everything back inplace and SHAZAM Counter Steer / Overdrive :shock: :o |O|

As you can see from the above video that the YOKOMO FCD 2.0 created a 2.48 Counter steer ratio which for me was way way to much. I have used the CS Calculator and using the YOKOMO 1.3 FCD gear set you should achieve a 1.61 CS ratio and the Yokomo 1.5 gear set will give you a 1.91 CS ratio.

This was not a simple mod to do and took me 2 goes to get it right but now that I have done it I have some CS chioces for my HSP FlyinFish now. :D :D :D

Hope you all can use any or all of the info that I provided to better your HSP CHASSIS. :ugeek:

As always any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

My next mission is a oneway diff or shaft set up *-|

valve_timing
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Drift Package type cm

Re: HSP CS MOD using YOKOMO GEARS

Postby valve_timing » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 pm

post a video of you csing your chassis likea action video

DK2B
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Drift Package Type C @ 1.8CS

Postby DK2B » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 pm

This is definitely a mod that I am considering for my Drift Star. :up:

I'm gonna finish setting my Drift Package up first and then I might invest in a couple more tools, to be able to do this job properly. I gotta get a better tool like a dremel, so that I am able to do the diff housing shaving.
I might even organise a couple of spare housings, just in case I mess it up :lol: :lol: *-|

You have done an awesome job with this mod |O| and I am thankful that you have shared this with us ;) :up:

CHEERS Mate :mrgreen:

MackIV
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Exceed Driftstar (HSP Flying Fish)

Postby MackIV » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:55 pm

first off i'd like to applaud you on your ingenuity for doing this mod.

|O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| 8-) 8-) 8-) |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O| |O|

So, the only real physical modding you have to do is shave the housing and dremmel a new shaft? is there any possible way you could manufacture another on(or a few?) for a buck or two gifted from paypal...? lol i know it sounds funny but im actually pretty serious. I've been searching for a CS mod for a month now, actually ever since i started trolling this site, and the only thing i could find was that same guy who just showed that his was CS'd and not how. What size was the screw u used by the way? If theres any possible way you could just make another one or maybe show a video of making another one w/ measurements? This is an awsome tutorial but im just missing a few bits of info so that i can actually execute this CS mod right just like you!
Exceed Dritstar A.K.A. HSP Flying Fish
Tacon Brushless 540XL 4300kv
[STOCK]Hobbywing brushless 35A-SL
2s 40c/80burst Lipo
48p: 64T spur / 29T (steel) pinion

LSD SQUAD A.K.A. TEAM POSI
([LOCKED]LimXited[LOCKED]- Slip Differentials!)

$1d3w4y$
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: EagleRacing R31-16FM, Tamiya TA03F, TEH-R31

Postby $1d3w4y$ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:28 am

Ok sorry if I wasn't clear enough does this help a little more

In the photo that showed the two shafts (old original and new) it shows an overall length of the new shaft at 47.5mm. The new shaft is only being made longer from the postion directly inside the diff casing, bringing the new Yokomo drive gear inline/closer with the small yokomo diff gear.

So I used the original shaft to copy the exact placement/length of shaved end to fit main center shaft cup, then same spot for sirclip groove and same spot for hole for spur gear pin. As all these points stay in the same spot outside the diff housing. To fit the yokomo drive gear I shave each side of the shaft slowly mm by mm until the gear fit on snug and as picture and as explaind I drilled a hole on the end of my new shaft to bolt it on.

If you are after exact measure ments for the shaved area at each end just measure you cup/gear it needs to fit on, just ensure that you shave/grind it evenly both side so the gear/cup sit central on the shaft.

As for the shaft size (width) I believe it is 5mm but just match to the original shaft you are replacing. As you can see I found a bolt that was the same and had ample length and cutout what i needed.

Remember this mod was done on a HSP FlyingFish chassis

By posting this info I have tried to make it easier for everyone to follow and I hope this message has helped you even more.

just like you I am trying to improve a very limited chassis

Return to “Counter-Steer Full Setup”