My HPI Pro-D

Post your full Counter-Steer setup specs here.
Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB SSG 80%, Yokomo MR4-TC BD 67%

My HPI Pro-D

Postby Carr » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 am

I thought I would share my setup for my car. I had a spare chassis and had read a bit about the CS setups so I thought I would give it a go. After doing my initial setup at 1.84:1, I had destroyed one of my diff gears due to poor modification so it is running less overdrive than I plan, but I will put it back up to 1.84:1 once I get a new gear set. I have only just started setting it up so the setup is a bit rough and I will update this thread as it gets better. I will also be looking at doing steering mods to try and get more angle.

Make: HPI
Model: Pro-D

Date: 19/03/2010
Track surface: Boral Surface Coat (similar to tennis courts)
Tire: Drift Daddy (Small Australia Company) - A little bit more grip than slick T-Drifts
Motor & ESC: Hobbywing Ezrun 9T and 35A ESC combo

Front

Camber: -4 -8
Toe: +2 0
Kick up:
Caster hubs: 4 deg 4 deg
Ride height: 4.5mm ?? Need to measure
Springs: Medium Hard
Bumper weight: Nil
Trailing Steering Block:
Sway-Bar: Nil
Shock Oil: 25wt
Other: Shock are outside hole at bottom and 1 up at top. Camber turnbuckles are mounted in lower hole on shock tower

Rear

Camber: -2 -3 - mainly to fit body
Toe: -1
Kick up:
Ride height: 5mm ?? Need to measure
Springs: Standard Pro-D
Sway-Bar: Nil
Shock Oil: 25wt
Other: Shocks are inside hole at bottom and inside hole at top. Camber turnbuckles are mounted in lower hole on shock tower

Drive Train

Gearing: 1.471 CS 1.84 CS
Front: Medium Ball diff, but can still slip both wheels at same time (Will be rebuilding to check it). Active Hobbies Stage 2 Kit for Yokomo SD, 43T/13T - 3.31:1 Fairly loose ball diff, fixed to stop problem
Center: 2.81:1 3.625:1
Rear: Spool. Active Hobbies Stage 1 Kit for Yokomo SD / Standard Pro-D 36T/16T - 2.25:1 Full Active Hobby Stage 1 Kit on a Ball diff with no balls, bearings or spring but spacers instead
Spar: 87T
Pinion: 31T 24T Other: Active Hobbies gears were modified to fit the diff housings
Last edited by Carr on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yokomo DRB SSG Hyper - 100% CS - Yokomo BL-Pro2 + Zero 8.5t - Yokomo Low Profile
Yokomo MR4-TC BD - 132% CS (pending new belt) - Novak Slydr 6.5t - Hitec
HPI Pro-D - 83% CS - eZrun 9T - Bluebird - FSC (semi retired)

Banggotan
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Streetjam OTA-R31 CS1.83

Re: My HPI Pro-D

Postby Banggotan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Awesome! A cs pro-d..

Could u post some pics? I'd like to see how u mod the gearings and all, man
[Wanten Junkies Syndicate]
[Yokomo DRB : Ketsukaki 1.85 + 50 Degrees Steering Lock]
http://www.rcdorishop.com

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 am

I decided that I needed to give this car a service and lube all the bearings and everything. I had got it second hand and haven't touched it except for changing the diff gears. This is what I ended up doing to it.

I did a full rebuild and upgraded some bearings to ceramics with rubber seals. Rebuilt the shocks with Losi 25wt oil and even pulled the motor apart to give it a clean. I also put it on my setup station and changed a couple of settings which I have updated

Here are also a couple of pic of the modifications I did to make the gears fit into the standard Pro-D diff housings.

I had to cut the bevel gear's mount to be able to mount it over the pin and shaft in the diff, not the neatest mod but it works. I couldn't find my pics of the Stage 1 gear before I modded it, and I didn't take any pics of the modded Stage 2 gear

Active Hobbies CS Gears Stage 2 for Yokomo SD - 13T - Before Mod

Active Hobbies CS Gears Stage 1 for Yokomo SD - 20T - After Mod (this gear stripped out so I have replaced with standard bevel gear)

Shaft that the bevel gear mounts onto

I had to bore out the centre hole in the ring gear on the Stage 1 gear. - 36T - As you can see not an overly neat job

When mounting the ring gear on the diff shaft I had to use a few shims to space it out to mesh without binding too much

Ring gear mounted

Built diff - I covered it in grease as I knew that it was still binding quite a bit, as it turns out it ended up stipping the bevel gear.

The front ball diff was a little different as I had to grind out some of the diff casing to get the larger ring gear (43T) to fit and i didn't need to bore out the centre hole as it was already large enough. Bevel gear mods were the same as above. I forgot to take pics when I was doing it, next time I rebuild it I will take a couple.

Any comments or questions are more than welcome.

Cheers
Chris
Yokomo DRB SSG Hyper - 100% CS - Yokomo BL-Pro2 + Zero 8.5t - Yokomo Low Profile

Fabio_Floripa
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB 1.8

Postby Fabio_Floripa » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

dude, that is a cool mod
i'm new here
and i also have a pro-d
any test made?

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I have driven it a bit, but am still trying to work out how to set it up. I am still pretty new to RC cars so I am learning as I go, lots and lots of trial and error. It is still a bit hard to control, but is getting there. I think I may have damaged the motor when I rebuilt it last week, I will have to pull it apart again and check it.

Banggotan
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Streetjam OTA-R31 CS1.83

Postby Banggotan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 am

I have to give you 4 thumbs up (2 thumbs borrowed from the person beside me)..

This is a pretty tidious mod but you did it wholeheartedly.
Don't give up, mate. It'll take a couple of trial and errors before you can get it right..
[Wanten Junkies Syndicate]
[Yokomo DRB : Ketsukaki 1.85 + 50 Degrees Steering Lock]
http://www.rcdorishop.com

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:21 am

I have been doing some more work on this car to get it to drive a bit better. As some may know, I had some trouble with my ball diff not working due to it being meant for another use. The balls weren't exposed from the ring gear and were basically floating between the diff plates. I have now fixed this by sanding down the inside of the gear to expose the balls a little. Let me just say, WOW what a difference it made. I can now drive the car with little trouble, I just need to set it up to suit a ball diff instead of being 4wd or rwd randomly as it was before I fixed it.

I have also come across some alloy arms, c hubs, steering knuckles and rear hubs which I have installed. They are the ones from R2Hobbies website, but came on a chassis a local shop had used for parts. Seeing as these were clone parts, I had to slightly modify them by grinding a little of parts of the arms and boring out a couple of holes a little more to allow free movement. I assume these will have a minor impact on the handling of the car, but I will overcome that when I tune the car again. I have leant my setup station to a friend for the week so I haven't had a chance to check how the settings had changed, the only thing I have had to do is to reduce my front camber as my shafts are now hitting on the back of the diff cups and bottoming out.

Here are some pics of the new alloy and also a new body I did which will probably be my CS body for a while.

Front

Rear of steering knuckle

Rear

Top View

My Shell

Cheers
Chris

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby danhfvcsd » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Hey mate, looking good! Figured i'd reply here rather than DC - you've done more mods than i initially assumed man, but it's turned out well pal =) Can't wait to see it dood - make sure you come down saturday night - you're gonna have to let me have a drive so i know what i should be looking for in a CS car... it's funny - you say you're the new guy to rc, but you are further along in the CS setup than i am! -lol-
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Cheers Dan, I will be down on Saturday for sure but probably won't be there until after 4pm. I did a bit more tuning last night at Cannon Hill, with a bit of guidance from Tom, and it is a lot better with control and reducing spinning out. I have a gear set to bring my car back up to 84% overdriven, but probably won't get time to mod them until next week. I will probably have a crack at grinding out some of the steering knuckles to get a bit more angle also. I also need to source some shorter CVD shafts so I can put a bit more camber on the front wheels, at the moment they are bottoming out in the diff outdrives.

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 am

I decided last weekend that I needed to order the gear-set to bring my CS ratio back up to 1.84:1, so I ordered another STR066 kit from Active Hobby through a site in Japan. I got bored yesterday after work and did the modification to the bevel gear to make it fit. I had also picked up another ball diff set to mount the ring gear so i didn't have to modify it. I built the diff without the balls and used spacers instead of the spring and thrust bearings. I had to add an extra 0.4mm in shims on the axle to make it tight enough in the housing, but other than that, it worked perfectly. Much easier than modifing the gear.

I did some testing at the track today and it is a bit harder to drive. I had tried several suspension settings which improved it a little, but it is still quite hard to sustain long drifts. I will play with it some more on the weekend and see if I can improve it some more, I may even try and copy a few setting from other cars here to see if they work.

Fla2h
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Hpi Pro-D, hpi sprint 2, yokomo MR-4tc BDM

Postby Fla2h » Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 am

I have the same car too and i have questions abaut yours.
How much your front wheels turn because i used dremell and i still couldnt get tires turn enough...???
Nice job!!!
Dori or Die!

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 pm

I haven't modified my steering yet, but I think from memory I am getting about 20 to 25 deg of steering on the inside wheel (including ackerman). This is where the steering knuckle hits the c hub and then just a tiny bit to use the little bit of play in the mounts to get a tiny bit more angle. I am finding that at 1.84 I do need a little bit more angle, but it was fine at 1.46 and could be driven quite easily.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Have you got a dremel for extra steering in the hubs man? I can bring mine in on saturday to skids if ur heading down man?
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Fla2h
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Fla2h » Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 am

danhfvcsd wrote:Have you got a dremel for extra steering in the hubs man? I can bring mine in on saturday to skids if ur heading down man?

If u are mean me in that im from Finland.
I think that my wheels dont turn just enough.
[img]http://fla2h.kuvat.fi/kuvat/HPIM3688.JPG/small/img]
[img]http://fla2h.kuvat.fi/kuvat/HPIM3693.JPG/small/img]
Dori or Die!

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 am

Based on those pictures, it looks like you are getting just a little bit more steering than me. It is a little hard for me to gauge it from the pics though as i always look at my bumper foam but you have trimmed yours. What gearing setup are you running?

Thanks for the offer Dan, I won't be heading back down to Skids for a little while, my real car just cost me a packet in repairs so I am rather broke for the next 10 years or so :D :D i do have a dremel though, but just haven't been bothered to mod the steering yet

Fla2h
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Fla2h » Thu May 13, 2010 1:53 am

[quote="Carr"]Based on those pictures, it looks like you are getting just a little bit more steering than me. It is a little hard for me to gauge it from the pics though as i always look at my bumper foam but you have trimmed yours. What gearing setup are you running?

Stock for now... I just bought the car 2 weeks ago and it was used so i dont have usermanual and stuff so i look thease forums to get help with my project. I have been drifting with my first car hpi e10 2 years now so im new in this stuff. I havet even tried cs drifting yet because its new in here. I just wait to get good motor and cs setup. I need a ghz transmitter too... :D
I trimmed my foam because of my hpi rx7 bodykit. It doesent fit. :lol: :lol:
Dori or Die!

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 am

Nice. I got a copy of the manual from the HPI Japan website, it was the only place I could find it.

Fla2h
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Fla2h » Wed May 26, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks. It works. Can u post videos and more picks??? I would like to see how it runs because i dont have any motor yet... :?: :?: :?:
Dori or Die!

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed May 26, 2010 6:00 am

I have done a bit more work to this recently. I was maxing out the steering with the standard servo mount position, so I decided to front mount it. I have found a couple of little problems that I am still trying to work out after doing this. My ackerman is now reversed so the outside wheel now has more angle than the inside, I didn't change my c hubs when i swapped my front arms so I currently have negitave caster, Have some toe in because i didn't have long enough turnbuckles. I have also reduced the gearing back to 46% overdrive to better suit the surface and track designs in my area, the 82% was just a little bit much at the moment. I do have some video of it but I don't have any edit software to be able to split the 15min video. I will try and take some videos over the next week or 2 and get some software so I can upload it.

Cheers
Chris

Fla2h
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Fla2h » Sat May 29, 2010 9:03 am

Can u Post more pics from your steerling??? I just opened the front end i dremeled everything i can. My steerling is maxed with stock parts...
Dori or Die!

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 am

I have done a bit more work on the car this last week. After turning the arms around, I found that my CVD's are limiting my steering as the arms are angled further forward. I need to track down some DCJ's or high angle CVD's. I have also put the gearing back up to 82% overdriven, it was getting a little too easy on 45% :)

To relocate the servo I just took the front bumper pad out and made 2 plates that go over the body posts for the servo to screw to. I left the servo on the standard mounts and screwed into them through the plates, I also drilled extra holes for the extra tabs that stop the mounts spinning. To allow for the new steering, I had to reverse my front arms so I could mount them on the other side. The standard turnbuckles were far too short so I got some 3mm stainless steel threaded rod and just cut them to length.

To allow for the new steering, I had to reverse my front arms so I could mount them on the other side.

This is how much steering I am getting with the current CVD's. I will probably make up some castor rods and cut the tops off the C-Hub to try and allow for a bit more caster which should bring the CVD more inlinde with the diff. I also need to play with it a bit more to reduce the Ackerman, most likely the pitman mod considering I have plenty of threaded rod.

Cheers
Chris

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 am

Hey man, cruise down to skids on Saturday if you can and we'll see if we can get my Cvds in there :). You will be surprised at how much better my car is too hahaha :)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:24 am

I can't go this week as I am heading up to Hervey Bay for the comps this weekend, and have a stereo comp the following Saturday. Will try and make it down there soon though.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:58 am

Ahhh, forgot about the hervey bay comp :) no wokkas dood, catch up soon man... How is it with the extra overdrive now btw? It was real nice when I drove it...
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Carr
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Carr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am

Haven't had a chance to test it yet. I only finished doing it about 4pm and have been getting ready to leave at 5am tomorrow. Will give it some testing at the Shed.

Return to “Counter-Steer Full Setup”