TA03 (Twin Motor/Esc)

Post your full Counter-Steer setup specs here.
PS13Boy
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: TA05, TA03F, TT01

TA03 (Twin Motor/Esc)

Postby PS13Boy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 am

Make: Tamiya
Model: TA-03
I converted it to two motors.
And I wanted to be able to control front and rear independently, so I also have 2 escs.
I use a stick controller, so on the right stick I have f/r drive mix/ratio.
IE stick forward = almost FWD
stick back = RWD
So I can use this for mid drift tweaks and at stick back it will do nice opposite lock doughnuts. 8-)
Then of course I can adjust the mixes, epas and exps, so I can tune front and rear throttle/brake bias from the control. 8-)
So even line locks are possible. :lol:
So far the car runs very nicely, is a bit heavy/slow as it is, but I've got some more changes coming to fix that. 8-)
More updates soon...

Date: 15/04/2010
Track surface: Tiled Floor
Tire: Tamiya Super Drift Tech
Motor
Front: Stock 27T motor
Rear: Tamiya TZ 23T
Esc: Front and Rear MTroniks 15t

Front

Camber: -6
Toe: about -2 (in)
Kick up: 0mm
Caster hubs: Std
Ride height: 8mm
Springs: soft
Sway-Bar: Nil
Shock Oil: 40wt

Rear

Camber: -2
Toe: std
Kick up: 0mm
Ride height: 8mm
Springs: soft
Sway-Bar: Nil
Shock Oil: 40wt

Drive Train

Gearing:
Front
pinion: 23t
Diff: Ball

Rear Pinion: 22t
Diff: Slipper-Spool

Valiant_012
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA-05vdf

Re: TA03 (Twin Motor/Esc)

Postby Valiant_012 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 am

I think this is a super fresh take on the two motor idea. 100% adjustable and line lock! Well done.

springninja
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05R

Postby springninja » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 am

Super cool chassis, cool idea. I like how you managed to find matching black gearbox cases too. Nice work.

Vic Nyce
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: AE TC4

Postby Vic Nyce » Mon May 17, 2010 6:32 pm

wow. the people wanna see a video |O|

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby danhfvcsd » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 pm

what a cool idea!!! I am stumped as to how you are able to mix the 2 throttles on the one stick tho... can you further explain that part to me man? gives me ideas for other type of rc projects i have tinkering around in my head hahaha Cheers man, ups to you for this one dood, good work =)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

PS13Boy
CSJ VIP

Postby PS13Boy » Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 pm

What rc gear do you have?
I've always used sticks, which is a bit unusual, but it actually works out good.
2.4G 6 ch plane/heli radio gear is relatively cheap, and you get all those extra channels to play with!

But yeah, on plane/heli transmitter, there's mixes which you can use to send a channel to other channels.
The easiest way to setup is to have the rear esc plugged into channel 2 (or whatever the throttle channel is), then have the front esc plugged into an unused channel, for example channel 6.
Then you need to set both end points of channel 6 to 0%.
Then use the first mix to send channel 2 to channel 6.
0% mix = rwd......100% mix = 50/50

I've got this thing going again after it was shelved coz I blew up an esc by doing something stupid... :oops:
It's shed some weight and some stuff has changed, will post an update soon...

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm

ahhhh, dammit!!! To make things worse, i have a dx6i i use for my planes and yacht, and while i know all about radio mixing, i couldn't think of how it would work -lmao- I think it was the 2 esc's confusing me - i was thinking of them as more than just a 'channel' for some reason if that even makes any sense -lol-

Sooooo, now i'm thinking about it more - does this mean to change f/r drive ratios, do you have to go into the settings to adjust the mix, or can you do it on the fly with switches? Hang on... i'm confusing myself cause i'm thinking too much - i'm one of those people that has to physically do something before i can understand it properly hahaha

I think i realise why i was confused tho - i was thinking of sayyy, being able to switch the throttle f/r drive ratio on the fly by using your "elevator" channel, so the adjustability of the drive ratio was fully proportional... i don't know what i am thinking anymore hehehe
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

PS13Boy
CSJ VIP

Postby PS13Boy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Yeah I get ya. You can sort of do that.
Like you can use the B mix to send like 25% of ch3/elevator to the front esc channel.

So when the right stick is forward you have normal throttle signal +25% going to the front esc. So it's more like FWD, you can dab the stick forward to correct oversteer.
And when the stick is back, it is throttle signal minus 25% going to the front, that also means anything under 25% throttle is full RWD.
It works better with no reverse escs I've found out, because the front one goes into reverse if you stay off the throttle with the stick pulled back...
I hope all that makes sense, :?
takes me a while to work this stuff out, lots of trial and error, but I think that's half the fun, having those "Eureka" moments. :mrgreen:

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Wed May 19, 2010 10:29 pm

hahaha, totally hey - it's such a good feeling when you sort out something like that - gets you all warm and fuzzy inside -lol- Would be a wicked idea to use on a crawler too... but i suppose you'd mod it slightly for a crawler...

Thanks man, that cleared it up heaps for me... Sounds like it'd be a big challenge to get used to, but man - when you do, you're gonna be a hard man to beat at the track! =)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

eichkay
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Hot Bodies TC-D

Postby eichkay » Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 am

I did this awhile back with a TA03, i ran two 10.5 fantom motors on 2 LRP Sphere speedy's ... front and rear had different pinions.. Idea was great worked well on a bigger open track, but on the tighter technical tracks with was a real handfull and unforgiving. give it a go but its a very temperamental CS setup IMO and the limited amount of camber you can get from a TA03 and limited setup options like shock mounting points etc etc sort killed any real tuning of the setup..

PS13Boy
CSJ VIP

Postby PS13Boy » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah I think you're right to be honest. Like you say, it's good in long fast corners, but it's not the best at switching and it is slow because it's still 1500g+ :x
It is fun to play with the controls, and it does wicked good opposite lock dougnuts and line locks... :lol:
But yeah, I might try a normal TA03F cs setup on this chassis next...me thinks too front heavy though... :|

Return to “Counter-Steer Full Setup”