Yokomo Driftmaster LE2

Post your full Counter-Steer setup specs here.
VRTULX
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Yokomo LCG/Driftmaster LE2

Yokomo Driftmaster LE2

Postby VRTULX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

Make: Yokomo
Model: Driftmaster Limited Edition 2

Date:13/1/10
Track surface: Car park asphalt
Tire: ABS
Motor & ESC: Epic 10x2 brushed, Tekin G10 ESC

*Stock = what ever it is from the original kit instructions.

Front

Camber: - 1.5deg
Toe: 0deg
Kick up: *Stock
Caster hubs: *Stock
Ride height: 4mm
Springs: Yokomo Swift Medium Hard Brown
Bumper weight: 30grams
Trailing Steering Block:*Stock
Sway-Bar: Yokomo 1.2
Shock Oil: Yokomo #250
Other:

Rear

Camber: 0deg
Toe: *Stock
Kick up: *Stock
Ride height: 5mm
Springs: Yokomo Swift Soft Blue
Sway-Bar: Yokomo 1.0
Shock Oil: Yokomo #250
Other:

Drive Train

Gearing: Front - Stock Yokomo, Rear - FCD 1.5 Yokomo
Front: Ball Diff
Center: one-way shaft
Rear: Yokomo solid axle
Spar: 48pt 70T
Pinion: 22T
Other:

Notes:
Still need to work on the setup on the car. But works well for small tight tracks. It tends to get "stuck" in, full counter, drifting one direction and is difficult to change direction; unless brakes are fully applied to force it to swing back other way. Still need to apply modifications to front steering to achieve more lock and zero ackerman geometry.

Photos :

front-

rear-
Last edited by VRTULX on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katsumi
Site Mod
Site Mod
Drift Chassis: Yokomo BDM. CGM. DM. DP.

Re: Yokomo Dirftmaster LE2

Postby Katsumi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:54 am

Hi VRTULX

Welcome to SCJunkies
Yes ! Please post up front & rear view pics, I want to see shock position.
and add any pick you like one.

I want to ask you how lose front ball diff?

We will discuss your setup here.

Thanks

evanstewy
Founder
Founder
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Re: Yokomo Driftmaster LE2

Postby evanstewy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 am

Welcome to the forums!

I had the same issue with my car just wanting to stay in a slide. It started after I changed from NIMH batteries to Lipo batteries. This seemed to go away after I rebuilt my shocks and played with the preload on my shocks.
Are you running with a lipo or NIMH?
I know a lot of people here are running a front one-way but I don't think that is the issue here.
Does it seem to just keep sliding in one direction? Like when you are just turning right or left?

VRTULX
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby VRTULX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome,

Katsumi - I will add more photos when I can but it is in the same positions at the moment as described in the DM manual. I loosened the ball diff maybe 1/4 - 3/8ths of a turn from tight. It feels looser than I would run for my touring car.

evanstewy- I'm still running NIMH, I don't think the car favours one side too much more than the other. It may favour the battery side slightly, but it's only when I am pushing hard. It may be the case that I do need the extra lock and fix the ackerman. I tried matching the rebounds on all the shocks as closely as I could, when I built them and they generally come out the same speed on the side to side pairs. I'm still using the droops screws and its currently set to be 6 up front and 4 on the rear.

The problem I described, happens when I run the car on very smooth concrete at a university car park. On smooth concrete the car seems to just catch slides left or right and stay in them. Switching to T-drifts the car got a little better but I didn't have the fine control I liked to be able to follow other cars.

Earlier tonight, I ran the car at the usual spot of a public underground car park the surface is very rough and uneven asphalt. The car seemed to like this surface more but my ABS is very low. I was able to keep up with normal AWD drift RCs, I loved how i was able to bury the throttle and have angle traveling down short straights to link corners better.

We have an upcoming competition on the smooth concrete surface so I'm hoping to get the setup a bit better. I've ordered a set of single ring Yokomo tires and a set of LP32 T-drifts. I'm going to try to see if more grip will help me with the single rings. Generally my car feels like it is neutral but nearing the side of understeer. Tips with dealing with smooth surface concrete would be cool guys.

- Thanks, Bryan

evanstewy
Founder
Founder
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Postby evanstewy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

Yeah I know some of the guys here can better explain how steering angle and ackerman will help out. I know after I rebuilt the shocks, Rob spent a lot of time fixing my ackerman and that seemed to make a more stable. I already have my steering angle setup pretty good right now. Rob said that I could probably get even more if I run a larger offset wheel.

Just to let you know I am new to counter-steer drifting so I am just letting you know what I went through so far to get my chassis stable and more counter steer in the corners.

Katsumi
Site Mod
Site Mod
Drift Chassis: Yokomo BDM. CGM. DM. DP.

Postby Katsumi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:18 pm

VRTULX wrote:Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome,

Katsumi - I will add more photos when I can but it is in the same positions at the moment as described in the DM manual. I loosened the ball diff maybe 1/4 - 3/8ths of a turn from tight. It feels looser than I would run for my touring car.

- Thanks, Bryan

When I did normal set up drifting same turn I loosened, but counter Dori need more loose is better I think, try 1.1/2 turn loose.
If you spin out lot, I think is too much throttle, or more bumper weight, it’s help more CS and less spin out.
keep doing practice lot !.

VRTULX
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby VRTULX » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Pictures updated.

I just received my T-drifts and Yoko single rings. I'll give them a try this week and see how it feels. I'm definately getting better with each session.

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Postby valentin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

modding the steering would GREATLY help your CS setup. katsumi, maybe you can do a tutorial on the drift package hybrid steering for the DM?

VRTULX
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby VRTULX » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:34 pm

hehe Katsumi's method is a bit too extreme for me. I want something reversible as I'm going to turn it back into my primary touring car when I can afford the new D-MAX Special.
I want to try something more similar to Sil40SX's method. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102&start=0
-Bryan

Return to “Counter-Steer Full Setup”