Maintenance Items.

Here you can discuss everything you do to keep your car running 100%.
evanstewy
Founder
Founder
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Maintenance Items.

Postby evanstewy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Just thought I would ask you guys what your favorite maintenance items that you use for your chassis. Like what greases and speciality tools that you use to maintain your chassis.

Here are the items I have on my list.

Tamiya Black Grease (for any metal on metal parts)
Associated Green Slim (Was going to try this out but I am going to try just using shock oil first)
Yokomo Drift Oil (Use this for my bearings)

Not sure if I should just use the yokomo drift oil on my front one-way on my BD or do you guys suggest to use something else for that?

Am I leaving any kind of grease out?

For speciality tools I don't think I have that many right now. I guess I would have to say the digital caliper and probably my straight prick tool. I'm sure those aren't really specialtiy tool but that have been really useful for me. :D

Will be cool to know what you guys use. :up:

sangstahdorifuto
Site Mod
Site Mod
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster

Re: Maintenance Items.

Postby sangstahdorifuto » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:09 pm

LOL straight prick tool, didnt know you had one of those :)

but all kidding aside, I need to buy some drift oil haha, and my handy dandy harbor freight pliers set

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Cool thread Evan.....

I recently was fortunate and lucky to test out Cow Performance products.

Owner sent me a box with 1 of each of their products to write up a review and test.

The 3 products reviewed were

Moo-ter Cleaner & Degreaser
Cow Duster
Moo-Slick - R/C Silicone

For those that run Brushed motors or for general cleaner & degreaser duties, the Mooter Cleaner & Degreaser worked REALLY good. Used it along with a small plastic garbage can to see how much gunk came out.

This was followed after I used the Cow Duster to thoroughly clean the parts along with a brush. Any $1 brush from $1 store will do.

After everything, I used Moo-slick. Moo slick is a very nice product. I was able to spray onto gears, diff, bearings, and suspension parts. It is dirt-repellent so they dont get dirt attracted to them like most other silicone based product.It repells corrosion as well! It lubed up everything nicely and dries up so its not sticky or wet after you spray it.

I was able to also do a review on their pit mats....VERY nice! :D

Products can be pruchased on-line or looked at

http://www.cowrc.com/

Aside from the cleaning products, I use Yokomo Oils, HPI Greases, assorted 4-pc prick tools, and some Meguire's 1:1 car wax-cleaner products help keep shells looking new and shiny 8-)

Having a Dremel, Heat Torch, Thread locker/glue, and canned air also helps! :up:

evanstewy
Founder
Founder
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Postby evanstewy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:20 pm

I was wondering about the car wax on the rc car body. Thought that would just be a stupid question haha. :Shifty:
Thanks for the reviews, I am going to check out that Moo-Stick. Sounds interesting. :up:

sil40sx
CSJ Elite
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster LE

Postby sil40sx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 pm

evanstewy wrote:I was wondering about the car wax on the rc car body. Thought that would just be a stupid question haha. :Shifty:
Thanks for the reviews, I am going to check out that Moo-Stick. Sounds interesting. :up:

Mother's Plastic Polish for cars works really good for Lexan bodies. You can just buy it in an Auto parts store. (even though I stop bothering to cleaning the bodies any more)

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Yea but I use left over "Cleaner Wax" so its not actual wax, but something you use prior to using wax to remove any residue from polishing Clear coats on 1:1...a drop does a whole hood of a 1:10 car

I just use the left over bit thats left at the bottom of used bottles :) :)

Valiant_012
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA-05vdf

Postby Valiant_012 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

This isnt just for RC, But they have somany uses for RC, I have a small old style engineers lathe, and very old drill press. they are a huge
help to me.

aliceisadog
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3Racing carbon/alloy TA05 93% VDF 111%

Postby aliceisadog » Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I use shoe goo and fiber tape for plaster joining to re-enforce my body shells. Cut and lay pieces of fiber tape to the inside of the painted shell. Squeeze on some shoe goo (SG) along the tape, wet your finger and work the SG along and into the surface removing all the air pocket, keep your finger wet. I run along the bottom of the shell right around about 1 inch or so wide and all the corner rounded sections of the bumpers. Also over the wheel arches it stops tires rubbing through the paint. I have also SG the light buckets in as it stops dust and crap getting inside.

As for tools a set of allen drivers are a great investment. I also came across a ball end remover, makes popping turn buckles off so much easier. Turn buckle spanner. Fits perfect so you don't scratch off the blue.

Return to “Maintenance Tips”