Yokomo Shock Build Questions

Here you can discuss everything you do to keep your car running 100%.
oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Yokomo Shock Build Questions

Postby oski83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:05 am

Since most of my RC drift cars are Yokomo, I wanted to get a thread for the shock building/rebuilding questions I have or others might have as they build/re-build theirs, assuming alot of other CS drifters use Yokomo chassis or Yokomo Shocks.
I had a new Yokomo Stage 1 (older version) that included the Alum SSS Short Shock bodies and also had purchased sepereately some items to fully build a new set of shock. I have the Stage 1(D-018), Rayspeed Yellow Bladders(RS-02)-Low Grip surface, Rayspeed Yellow O-Rings(RS-01), Yokomo Ti Coated Shock Shafts (YS-53S-4T) , Yokomo Alum Shock Caps(YS-8D), and going to be using Yokomo 250 Wt. oil.

Right away, I noticed the black plastic tree that includes some of the internals for the shock, I got a choice to select.

1- The round plastic pistons that have either 2 or 3 holes in it that attach the bottom of shaft secured by tiny c-clips. 3-holes would allow more oil flow inside the shock body than the 2-hole part. Is this something to consider or use when already using 250 Wt oil for CSD?

2-The triangle parts that sit inside the shock body also come in 2 different ypes. One has a small center opening and the other has a larger one that the shock shafts slide through. Any advantages of using one over the other for drifting?

3-Yokomo instructions on Stage 1 are in Japanese so I could not understand one part described in the beginning. They show a small round part with a cut-out in the center that sits on top of the triangle piece.

I don't remember using or having this part last time I re-built my old shocks. The only thing in bag that looks like it is, is the black foam 'doughnuts'. Is this what sits over the triangle pieces inside the shock body?

I will post pics once I get my PC up and running again later this week. :up:

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Re: Yokomo Shock Build Questions

Postby tokeyo83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 am

oski83 wrote:1- The round plastic pistons that have either 2 or 3 holes in it that attach the bottom of shaft secured by tiny c-clips. 3-holes would allow more oil flow inside the shock body than the 2-hole part. Is this something to consider or use when already using 250 Wt oil for CSD?

2-The triangle parts that sit inside the shock body also come in 2 different ypes. One has a small center opening and the other has a larger one that the shock shafts slide through. Any advantages of using one over the other for drifting?

3-Yokomo instructions on Stage 1 are in Japanese so I could not understand one part described in the beginning. They show a small round part with a cut-out in the center that sits on top of the triangle piece.

it all depends on you. i think stock setting is 2 holes. the three hole pistons would make your current shock feel lighter. i would stick to the stock pistons unless you feel you want it to be lighter. changing out shock oil is pretty easy, changing out pistons is kinda a b!tch.

use the one with the small center, this is the shaft guide. using the one w the bigger hole will cause the shaft to move side to side, maybe even cause your piston to scratch the sides of you shock bodies. NOTICE!!! the triangle piece is a really tight fit do not modify it to make it easier to fit in the shock body. when you slide it all the way in make sure that it clicks or snaps in. its shouldn't be able to move after that.

the round piece is just to help you push the triangle piece all the way down (don't really need it, i use a t-wrench to push the piston down w the triangle piece).
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: YOKOMO MR-4TC RAYSPEED ULTIMATE CONVERSION

Postby antquinn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 am

Also remeber to put a few drops of oil on the o-ring seal, it seals the ring and stops any leaks.

I just rebuilt mine and they work a treat now, Uber smooth and leak free.

ant

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks for the tips guys....

@Tokeyo83- I saw the piece that you were talking about to use when pushing in the triangle piece...this piece on the instructions I am asking about is actually different.

The piece to help it go into shock body is about 5-7mm thick (part "A" on plastic tree) The item shown on the instructions seems to be the same thickness as the piston (2-3mm?) and it doesnt have a label part # written on the instructions either.
The closest thing I found was a black foam 'doughnut' in the back. Do you remember ever inserting one on top of the triangle?

evanstewy
Founder
Founder
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4TC-BD

Postby evanstewy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 am

it all depends on you. i think stock setting is 2 holes. the three hole pistons would make your current shock feel lighter. i would stick to the stock pistons unless you feel you want it to be lighter. changing out shock oil is pretty easy, changing out pistons is kinda a b!tch.

use the one with the small center, this is the shaft guide. using the one w the bigger hole will cause the shaft to move side to side, maybe even cause your piston to scratch the sides of you shock bodies. NOTICE!!! the triangle piece is a really tight fit do not modify it to make it easier to fit in the shock body. when you slide it all the way in make sure that it clicks or snaps in. its shouldn't be able to move after that.

the round piece is just to help you push the triangle piece all the way down (don't really need it, i use a t-wrench to push the piston down w the triangle piece).

I would have to agree with tokeyo83. He helped me rebuild my shock the last time I did them and used the parts that he is suggesting and the shock feels really good. Just remember to put that drop of oil on the bottom o-ring like antquinn said. I didn't do that last time and now a lot of the shock oil leaked out. Also might want to get some green slim on the o-ring, haven't tried it yet but it's suppoed to work well.

evanstewy
Founder
Founder

Postby evanstewy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm

oski83 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys....

@Tokeyo83- I saw the piece that you were talking about to use when pushing in the triangle piece...this piece on the instructions I am asking about is actually different.

The piece to help it go into shock body is about 5-7mm thick (part "A" on plastic tree) The item shown on the instructions seems to be the same thickness as the piston (2-3mm?) and it doesnt have a label part # written on the instructions either.
The closest thing I found was a black foam 'doughnut' in the back. Do you remember ever inserting one on top of the triangle?

I also saw this black foam peice and have no idea what it was for. I think you might just use the inner peice to put between the shock cap and the bladder. I am not sure about that but it's the only thing that I could think it would be used for.

SpeedFreak
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby SpeedFreak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Yes, place that black foam on top of the bladder.

In the instructions with my Yokomo 1,5 gear I read a tip that apply more rebound would make counter steer car make more stable.

That is what the foam is used for.

You create that rebound by filling your shock with oil to the top. Please the piston in the lowest position. That place the bladder, and let the the much of oil leak out. Put it into please, but dont puch oil out when its in please.
Than please the foam and shock cap.

When you compress you shock now the shaft goes in and the oil expands.
When releasing your shock it should decompress by it self because of the pressure inside. That is called rebound.

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 pm

do you mean the lowest position is all the way in ? or all the way out ?

my cs needs setting up bit time , it is not quick enough as the 50 - 50 lads have more pace so need everything possible to keep up

ant

SpeedFreak
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby SpeedFreak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm

The shaft should be in his lowest position. So the most of the shaft is out the shock body when filling and closing the shockbody. When you now compress it, it should decompress itself because the room the shock need inside makes some pressure.

Even without spring it should decompres.

You also can look the first video of this thread, he is showing build with less rebound.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=152

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:10 am

Cool, thanks guys...

I was going over the parts yesterday and in my packet that included the Alum Shock cap and collar with the Diaphram it had a small instruction sheet inside. In it (in english-thank God) it said to remove the 10mm black rubber o-ring (that attaches to top of shock body, if using the original black plastic top cap, and also to remove the BLACK FOAM ('doughnut') from INSIDE the shock body since the alum. cap comes with a bladder and rebound foam. This makes sense now :up:

evanstewy
Founder
Founder

Postby evanstewy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks for posting that up! I had no idea what the doughnut piece was for.

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 am

Shocks are assembled and tonight going to fill them up and make sure they are all even and no air bubbles.

Evan, another thing, I had Hiroshi's magazine from Japan that my buddy got me from him and although written in Japanese, there's tonsss of pics to guide me on some things.

1 tip he discussed in magazine was that for those running Stock Yokomo Shocks from the DP (no oil) that you can lube up the shaft, piston, and add (2)basic small o-rings on the bottom of the shaft on top of the traingle. Lubing it would help it slide easier since there's no oil in shock body and the o-rings would help dampen the piston movement since there was no foam.

There's tons of other info on it and once I can get it scanned, I can post some up for everyone.

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:42 am

oooooooooooo this sounds interesting !

shocks are something i have always overlooked but now am taking a real interest in building shocks

ant

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 am

Shocks finally done...smooth as butter! pics soon

robsta
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: Yokomo BD,BDM,and Driftmaster. CGM needs some love

Postby robsta » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Oh hell yea. Please post up asap! :up:

oski83 wrote:Shocks are assembled and tonight going to fill them up and make sure they are all even and no air bubbles.

Evan, another thing, I had Hiroshi's magazine from Japan that my buddy got me from him and although written in Japanese, there's tonsss of pics to guide me on some things.

1 tip he discussed in magazine was that for those running Stock Yokomo Shocks from the DP (no oil) that you can lube up the shaft, piston, and add (2)basic small o-rings on the bottom of the shaft on top of the traingle. Lubing it would help it slide easier since there's no oil in shock body and the o-rings would help dampen the piston movement since there was no foam.

There's tons of other info on it and once I can get it scanned, I can post some up for everyone.

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Posted about 30 scanned pages on other section...hopefully they are helpful ;)

evanstewy
Founder
Founder

Postby evanstewy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Well looks like I am half way done rebuilding my shocks. Thought I would take some of the good parts of my SD and put them on my BD shocks. Man that is a lot of parts, kinda wondering what I got myself into! *-|

I'm just hope that everything is working perfectly after this with all the tips that I got from these posts. :up:

photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Cool! Looking at your pics, I would get some new Rayspeed o-rings which go on the bottom caps...unless the existing ones are in good shape...same with the bladders

What weight oil are you planning on using?

evanstewy
Founder
Founder

Postby evanstewy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I will have to look into the rayspeed o-rings next time. The ones that I took out I just put in a few months ago so they are still in good shape.

I used 20wt losi oil.

All done! :D

**oh yeah one more thing. I made sure the line on the preload collar lined up with the shock top so they will all be the same preload when I set them. I did not check that before so the preload was probably always off. :cry:

photo (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oski83
CSJ VIP

Postby oski83 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:13 am

sweet! Looks good...yea I did the same thing when I built mine...those videos posted on maintenance stuff gave out some pointers on tuning and stuff...I picked that up from that guy...really helped the end result on not just my shock re-build but my overall tuning :up:

Return to “Maintenance Tips”