WIP - Ford Mustang RTR

Post the progress of R/C Body here.
SomdWhite03GT
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Team Associated TC-4

WIP - Ford Mustang RTR

Postby SomdWhite03GT » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:55 am

Bought the HPI Ford Mustang RTR Body for my TC-4. When I purchased my car, the guy I bought it from threw in a few bodies. Lexus IS300, Lexus SC300, Trueno, Saleen Mustang, and the S15 Silvia body (which is the current one I run now) Decided since I bought wheels for it (HPI TE37's in a flat black) that It was time I finally did a body. Was a tough decision as I was going to go on RCMAX and purchase the Pandora R33, but it was out of stock so until that comes back in, I bought the Mustang. It's on order through Amazon.com and should be here soon. Once I get it in, the pics and write up will follow. Now for painting my first body, what should I look for, how should I mask off spots and what spray paints are good? Also what could I do for a crazy paint job? I am thinking of going with a basic single color gloss or metallic like original mustang colors but also thinking the Mustang Terminator Mystichrome would be great to do too. Real life shot of that is shown below.

SomdWhite03GT
What's CS?
What's CS?

Re: WIP - Ford Mustang RTR

Postby SomdWhite03GT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 am

Well got the body in yesterday and within an hour was painted and was completed last night.

Taped Up I put the base masking on, and also masked off the roof and the rear panel to paint those black.

1st and 2nd coats Grabber Green and Gloss Black were sprayed

Front and Rear Trimmed, un masked and a few test fits after drilling holes. Can see the rear black panel.

Waited a few hours and went to our first local car meet of the year. Came home at 10pm last night and installed the decals, light buckets and my light kit that I had.

AFTER Decal Install, Lights and Light Buckets

Finally a Pic Stitch for Instagram!

FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM - @03MustangGT and @HorsepowerPhotography
FOLLOW AT FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/02SubaruWrx and https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Horse ... 5889651311

ridinvintage
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA-05 GRT 2.14cs, OTA-R31 in the works

Postby ridinvintage » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am

I hope you didn't use regular spray paint.

Edit: I looked at the pics again and you did, as soon as that gets hit or flexes the paint will start chipping off. I made the same mistake a few years ago when I did my first body. You really should use a polycarbonate/lexan specific paint. There are several companies that make spray cans of this paint tamiya, pactra, and spaztix. Or you could go get an airbrush better route for making custom colors and you can get paints from faskolor, spaztix, creatix.

SomdWhite03GT
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby SomdWhite03GT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Yeah this was my first body I ever painted. I drift around but its mainly in the open and nothing to hit. Barely use the car, until I find some events or more people to drift with here in Maryland. Until then, she just sits as a paper weight or conversation piece haha.

Takumi Fujiwara
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura CS Sport D3 / Tamiya TA-03F

Postby Takumi Fujiwara » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 am

Oh, some Hot Wheels, eh? ^^

SomdWhite03GT
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby SomdWhite03GT » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Takumi Fujiwara wrote:Oh, some Hot Wheels, eh? ^^

Yes sir, anything with wheels I own haha

SomdWhite03GT
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby SomdWhite03GT » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Also, this paint is holding up well. Took her out in my driveway and from transition from road to driveway is rough and no paint chipping and as I was drifting under my camper I hit the stabilizer and it didn't chip paint. Knock on wood for now but worse come to worse Ill go buy like 100 more bodies haha

Return to “WIP Bodies”