DIY: ABS Not Fitting Right?

Post up any do it yourself how to's that does not have to do with counter steer chassis mods.
TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya VDF II - Tekin RS Setup

DIY: ABS Not Fitting Right?

Postby TEXT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share with you a method I learned from Raikou Drift tires website. The first thing I did was sized up my rims to my ABS piping that I got from LOWE's home improvement store. I bought 2" inner diameter by 5' of piping for $7, not bad huh? Then I seen Raikou drift tires and how he mounted his tires and went to Lowe's again to buy some o-rings for a tighter fit! What I bought was Delta's Repair kit for kitchek spout which came with 4 o-rings. Part # DL-15 or #80973. The tires made a great fit around the piping and won't go anywhere. Make sure you use Dish washer detergent to lube the rings before installation! The rings will go in easy and the lub will dryout eventually making a tighter fit. I give pros to Raikou Drift tires...

Hope this helps guys :D!

valve_timing
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Drift Package type cm

Re: DIY: ABS Not Fitting Right?

Postby valve_timing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 pm

nice man i run raikou tires also dxpe and s45 i havent tried there abs yet

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 am

Naisu :up:
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks man ^_^

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Here is the tire cut, and still needs to be routed. Does anybody want a pair or set of drift tires? I will start to sell them once people are interested. Here is what the result looks like.
I will have three cuts available:
- Straight Cut
- Rounded
- 45 Degree Cut

There will be more added shortly. Please contact me if you are interested, and will start out shipping to United States only for right now. What should a fair price be for each pair or set? Please leave comments and take it easy. These were handmade and will not be exactly perfect, but I tried my best to achieve the look and feel of the tire. These tires were made from Charlotte ABS Piping! I currently only have 11 sets available so act fast if you are interested! I will accept Paypal payments as well!

valve_timing
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Drift Package type cm

Postby valve_timing » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:14 pm

lets see the 45* and rounded .. i usualy buy raikou drift tires as they have different materials/hardness rations on there tires but im interested in some abs so show me what ya got raikou has combo packs for 23 bucks fyi

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Im not gonna buy a set for $20 haha...to me its just over priced and not worth something I can do myself. I will have the pictures coming soon. Right now, I haven't gotten my routing table yet. If anybody wants to know how to make tires for cheap let me know! Its not that hard, and not a lot of labor involved unless your making a couple sets at a time...so yeah...if you have any questions fire away and I will be glad to answer them!

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Would anyone be interested in buying some ABS tires if I were to make and sell them? I would be doing a 45 cut, straight cut, and rounded cut styled tires...Please let me know!

MT-Drifter
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: HotBodies Cyclone TC

Postby MT-Drifter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 am

How much and will they come with o-ring? Also when will you have them with 45 degree edge?

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I will not include the o-rings because it would be too much money to include, and I don't know where I can get a bulk order of them, and also still trying out the sizes. The tires will have to be secured. It really depends on the type of rims you have. Different plastics have different effects. Not every tire will fit on the rim, because ABS flexes a little, so you will have to wrap your tires with electrical tape to secure the tires better, or use weather stripping and some tape will also work.

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Finally routed the corners on the tires to make them look realistic, and they don't grab onto sidewalk cracks as easily compared to straight cut.

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm

This is what the 45Degree cuts will look like. I only did them on one side because it takes a lot of time to cut these, and also takes a lot off of the tire!

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:33 pm

If anybody is interested in some cheap drift tires (ABS) please private message me and we will discuss more about em and for how much!

Fabio_Floripa
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB 1.8

Postby Fabio_Floripa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:06 am

nice tires dude...
i also made some tires

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Beautiful tires my friend :)! Way better than mine haha!

vimal
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: R31 RWD - OTA R31RS - TB EVO 5

Postby vimal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 am

Yo Text why does your compound look like it has holes in it? and Fabio why does your compound look like it was made from recycled materials (there’s white bits of plastic in it)?

This is the compound we get in South Africa, it is used by the Farming industry for water irrigation, and is rated at a class 6 pressure rating. It is by far my favorite tire compound as it is medium to soft and is very consistent on all surfaces.

I'm just curious to know what they use the pipe you guys are using for?

tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05 V2

Postby tnorton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 am

i noticed the difference as well.... thought it might have just been a differencein how it was tooled.

my attempt at abs tires did just as TEXT's did, looks like its very porious in a cross cut. the abs pipe i bought is just plain old sch40 abs.

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Well,

Right now I am using ABS piping that is made from Charlotte Pipe, which is the company that makes it and I buy it from Lowes for $7 per 10 feet or something like that. It is a schedule 40 style pipe and is think enough for drifting and haven't had any problems with the abs as far as wear and tear, but sometimes I do find it hard to fit on the rim exactly cause last time I bought pipe it was different and harder to put on the rim and now this time it is too loose. These are just some things that I have found out. Please post who makes your piping and I will ship some to my house and have it a go and see if I like it better or not as a product. I would like to make cheap drift tires for everyone to use, and all you would have to pay is like $4 for a SET not pair...so thats what my plan was to do.

vimal
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: R31 RWD - OTA R31RS - TB EVO 5

Postby vimal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 pm

$7 = R57.30 ZAR (South African Currency)
10 feet = 3 meters

I currently pay R25 for a meter which works out a little more than what you payed...

Normally the pipe comes in 100m (328 foot) rolls, so look at where they cut the pipe from, and choose the best looking part, otherwise you will get a stretched piece that would be narrower, also look at the consistency of the thickness of the wall of the pipe, this will prevent the hopping effect at high rmp on your car. IT awesome what you doing TEXT, we pay R80 = $9.77 for locally made tires, which is not really that bad if compared to the cost of tires from the shop or importing them...

TEXT
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TEXT » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:14 am

I mean, I still have some ABS tires that I haven't used am willing to sell if anyone wants a set or pay for like $6, includes shipping :)! Let me know if you guys want any!

Return to “DIY”