1/8 Drift Tires

Post up any do it yourself how to's that does not have to do with counter steer chassis mods.
hazardouschurch
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Custom slash 4x4/2wd mixture

1/8 Drift Tires

Postby hazardouschurch » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Making some 1/8 drift wheels.

1.Get a set of 1/8 buggy wheels

Getting the Right pipe

2. Get some 3" schedule 40 abs pipe, schedule 80 will work and have a better look but will be more difficult to do.
If you are going to buy some bring your rims and try a few the inside diameter of the pipe vary. You should be able to find some schedule 40 that will fit. if not don't fret there is the method that schedule 80 uses.

3. If you found some that fit great attach like 1/10 drift tires. If you got pipe that is smaller then basically what you will do is to heat the abs and stretch it over the rims. There are a couple of differnt methods of doing this. I used a toaster oven like 20$ at wally world set to 320 fahrenheit for like 7 minutes. The other option is a heat gun and heat it up i would not suggest this because it is too easy to heat one spot too much but it can be done. There is always the oven in your house but abs smells bad when heated. Not to mention the Mrs. will kill you.

4. The abs should be soft before attempting this and you should wear glove's or you will burn your self. Grab the abs out of the heating device and stretch over your rims. You want to press the abs into the rim rotating it as you go until it is no longer soft. Then do the next one while it cools all the way down.

Truing the wheels

5.If you have a lathe use it if and you should be able to get it from here. If not i have thought of another significantly cheaper method of truing wheels. So what you can do is mount the tires on any driven wheel. Turn on the car and peg the throttle if you have a spool. If you dont have a spool get/make one they make drifting easier anyways.. Then use a rasp or file to shape and true the tires. I found that a coarse rasp worked the best even on the lathe then finish with some rough grit sand paper like 80 or 60 grit. Abs melts at a low temperature so it tends to melt to tools i suggest using a wood file or rasp because it wont pack up.

You could use a drill but it would take longer than a car/truck would

Pictures

See how the sides have more wear this is because of the rims under neath having ribs eventually they will be flat when they wear.

Chassis they were made for to try on its rwd.

Gross wheel.. Its the odd one out the other set had one break so i needed one more and i only had a sc 17mm rim T_T

I haven't been able to try them out stupid rain :cry:. I will post when i do.

hazardouschurch
What's CS?
What's CS?

Re: 1/8 Drift Tires

Postby hazardouschurch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 am

Ok so i finally got to run the thing they were ok then got better as with time. I expected it i have foam core but it only lasted 2 packs. The grip was ok i have felt better they were great on concrete and new slurry asphalt. I wore out my diff fluid have to replace it and i have a littler ackerman that i have to get rid of but a few more packs and i should be able to drift ok.

multi-bash
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: OTA-R31 on Novak. Xray T2 009, gone.

Postby multi-bash » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

nice write-up! I've been looking at the 1/8th rally cars, but haven't seen any drift wheels for it.
-=Raincity Raji Kon=- Senior Building Reconnaissance Advisor - Hit me up to drift in the 206/425!
http://www.facebook.com/raincityrajikon
http://raincityrajikon.blogspot.com/
OTA-R31 - CS and eagle'd out in goooold, Novak GTBII + Balistic 8.5t

hazardouschurch
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby hazardouschurch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Im thinking of a way to put more plastic on the tires at the moment because one is almost to the rim i had a half of degree of camber and i thought it was at 0. Im debating trying to take them off they kind of get glued on since i melted the plastic in place and would be imposible to take off unless you cut them off i kind of want to see how hard it is to get off.

They can be a bit slippery too so im thinking of a way to add more grip to them will post when i find a better solution. I have tried on rubber on some suprasales slicks they were ok a little too much grip and had almost square edges. Ill have to try again so i can compair them.

AwDamn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: x2 Tamiya TA-05 EGR

Postby AwDamn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm

multi-bash wrote:nice write-up! I've been looking at the 1/8th rally cars, but haven't seen any drift wheels for it.

Hey Tor, If you are trying to drift your Slash, let me know, I'll drift too :D
All I have are a bunch of parts.......

.......and they aren't even the good ones.

Return to “DIY”