Hamster82's Secret DIY Shock dampers !!!!!!!!!!

Post up any do it yourself how to's that does not have to do with counter steer chassis mods.
vongperson
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Hot Bodies Cylcone TC-H

Re: Hamster82's Secret DIY Shock dampers !!!!!!!!!!

Postby vongperson » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:51 pm

aliceisadog wrote:I have done this mod and it makes my vdf and ta05 handle awesome. I have only done the rear shocks on both cars do you guys use it on front aswell? I will give it a go next session to see.

i would like to also know this. do you guys do it for all 4 shocks or just the rear?

aliceisadog
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3Racing carbon/alloy TA05 93% VDF 111%

Postby aliceisadog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:00 pm

I trialed it last session on my VDF and didn't like it much so swapped back to rears only. What do you other guys run?

Automatix
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA06 overdosed & Yokomo DIB

Postby Automatix » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm

I just use it at the rear. Was playing on Saturday on a very slippery track, with Streetjam superhard tires - the worst situation for the "fishtailing".
With the mod and medium soft Streetjam workssprings got the situation under control. All other guys on the track with square or streetjam conversions for the TA05 are facing the same troubles with the tail - they are reducing the droop on the rear, which gives about the same effect as the mod.

Rgds Manuel

chrisrex
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05 CS

Postby chrisrex » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Automatix wrote:I just use it at the rear. Was playing on Saturday on a very slippery track, with Streetjam superhard tires - the worst situation for the "fishtailing".
With the mod and medium soft Streetjam workssprings got the situation under control. All other guys on the track with square or streetjam conversions for the TA05 are facing the same troubles with the tail - they are reducing the droop on the rear, which gives about the same effect as the mod.

Rgds Manuel

This is what im trying to argue on this thread, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1145 , and apparently fishtailing is good to a number of members on here and clearly your in agreement with me because I hate the fishtailing and with this mod solves everything, I think my next chassis i think is going to be a streetjam kit how are you liking it ?

Automatix
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA06 overdosed & Yokomo DIB

Postby Automatix » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 pm

chrisrex wrote:This is what im trying to argue on this thread, http://www.csjunkies.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1145 , and apparently fishtailing is good to a number of members on here and clearly your in agreement with me because I hate the fishtailing and with this mod solves everything, I think my next chassis i think is going to be a streetjam kit how are you liking it ?

Well, fishtailing or not - it's a personal preference if you like it or not. I'm quite satisfied how my VDF handles now, even if there is a little fishtailing, compared i.e. to the DRB.
For small tracks that characteristic is nice to drive, but it gets difficult if you have narrow straights where you have to switch 1 or 2 times until you reach the next corner.

The streetjam OTA-r31 seems to be a sweet chassis, I saw some of them on a competition in Singapore and they drift very smooth. A good deal if you compare what you get for your money :up:
I personally don't like it so much, just too much plastic for my taste. Bought a DRB just 2 days ago ;)

hamster82
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TRF 416

Postby hamster82 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:19 am

Hi all, i have tested both street jam and DRB chassis at their original setting. I would say that they are both are very good chassis in terms of balance and handling. However street jam is slightly better in terms of it's rear handling.

As for the shocks setting, change only the rear is good enough. I did all 4 for better balance. I am able to Counter Dori on straights before the next corner, and even if it's tight S corner there are no problems with fast switch back. I am using the same oil weight and same spring type (progressive spring from square, medium) for all 4 shocks. If interested you guys can give it a try.

Everyone has a different play style so every setting is individual. Every car has it's own potential and if you set it right it will bring you joy in driving it. I had a 416 and a friend who drove it commented that the setting is so smooth that it's better than his DRB. So i hope that you all will be able to find your perfect setting and enjoy CS drifting. O:)

I shared this DIY setting of the shocks is so that ppl can enjoy CS better, so how you utilise this set up is really individual. ;)

PS: Automatix, i was at the com on sunday, maybe you can leave me your contact and we can have a drift meet sometime. :D

SUBRMN
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: VDF 1.87 CS AN VDF 50/50

Postby SUBRMN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

hamster82 wrote:10) Left DIY Shim is for HPI Piston, Right is for TRF Piston (Note the difference is size)

11) Install the shim to the piston and shock shaft.

12) Trinity #30 shock oil

hay buddy do you only put plastic on 1 side of shim or both sides and also do you it on top or under side thanks
IM STILL LEARNEN HOW BOUT YOU

AzNPuLSe
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA05 Eagle Drift Conversion, TA05, TEH-R31

Postby AzNPuLSe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:32 pm

plastic on 1 side and on the under side.

zoomzoom
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4-TC SD

Postby zoomzoom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Is there a difference between this mod and using a piston with fewer holes?

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:38 pm

zoomzoom wrote:Is there a difference between this mod and using a piston with fewer holes?

Using a piston with with ferwer holes will bound and rebound at the same rate, just slower. Using the shim on the bottom will have a normal bound, but will rebound slower. If you put the shim on top of the piston it will have a slower bound and a normal rebound.
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

zoomzoom
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR4-TC SD

Postby zoomzoom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm

tokeyo83 wrote:
zoomzoom wrote:Is there a difference between this mod and using a piston with fewer holes?

Using a piston with with fewer holes will bound and rebound at the same rate, just slower. Using the shim on the bottom will have a normal bound, but will rebound slower. If you put the shim on top of the piston it will have a slower bound and a normal rebound.

Does this require the shim to be flexible (as it seems the clear plastic is), so that the shim can flex away from the piston in one direction, but be solid because of the piston (and restrictive to the piston holes) in the other? Just puzzled why the Kose shims were described as too hard. Are they intended for TC racing instead of drifting?

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes it needs to be flexible. Haven't seen the Kose shims in person but if they are hard, then it's like have smaller piston holes. The first company that came out with the dual rate piston shim was Street Jam (came with the shocks they produced). Street Jam sells pistons with the shims but it's pretty hard to come by. Having dual rate dampening isn't necessary.
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:17 am

I tried the Red Kose shims again in the SSG DRB, but alas - they didn't work =( I did notice however that there is slight play in the pistons inside the shocks, so i reckon the oil is travelling around the outside walls of the shock body instead :?

The Red Kose shims are pretty flexy btw... i would assume just as flexy as the home made jobs in this thread... they're only 0.1mm thick from memory?
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

aliceisadog
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby aliceisadog » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 am

Hey dan I run driftdaddy bag as my shims and they work a treat. Dunno why yours didnt work?

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 am

keh?? the plastic bag from driftdaddy tires??? Did i read that right, or am i missing a piece of the puzzle?? lol
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Calzone
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05ERxCCCS

Postby Calzone » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am

I run the red Kose shims too and they work flawless! Might be depending on which oil and what shocks you're using though. I'm running 3 hole pistons with red kose shims, 450 weight oil and Square Ultra Soft progressive springs :)

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:33 am

assuming you have tamiya shocks? =) I need to try em in the 'pre-bd5' yokomo shocks...

crap - actually, i am lying!!!! lol i just remembered.... i am using the TN racing 'rounded' pistons, and couldn't fit the kose shims in there!!! The e-clips wouldn't go on, too thick... so i didnt end up using em!!! Will try em out in another car when i can be bothered rebuilding the shocks... probably the BDM =)

That being said - i did manage to get em in on the red/black DRB and they still didnt work aswell as i'd hoped... must be the new style shock bodies, as i have a feeling they're a tad thicker than the 'older' shock bodies...
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

Calzone
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05ERxCCCS

Postby Calzone » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 am

Forgot to mention that i also have Tapered pistons btw!

aliceisadog
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby aliceisadog » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah mate DD plastic bag. I have TRF shocks with 3 hole pistons and 30wt oil. Works very well.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:29 pm

lol thats loose as man hahaha will try it out next time i rebuild hehehe =)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

aliceisadog
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby aliceisadog » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 am

Just doin my bit to save the planet 2 10mm circles at a time LOL recycling ftw

Joshy T
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo LCG - DRB SSG Hyper

Postby Joshy T » Fri May 13, 2011 11:40 pm

i am using the rounded pistons and they making no difference for my drb, unforunately im too retarded to be able to make round shims like the ones on the first page, they are always uneven either entirely cover the hole, or dont cover it at all :(

raspberri
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TT-TT-01E

Postby raspberri » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 am

i tried this but with tapered 3hole piston on cheap alumunium damper set
using 35wt oil, also i make all the hole covered about 9mm shim maybe
it works well, makes the car more stable especially on long drift...?? i drift better than before with my TT-01E...:D
trial and error still continues since i starting rc drift just for about the past two month
i want to try another oil maybe 15-20wt, and maybe buy some other high quality damper parts, because the oil leaks, and after a moment the rebounds feels different...

Moolz
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA05 GRT - 102%, TT01 (50/50)

Postby Moolz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

After months of trying different suspension / wheel / steering setups - I could not stop my TA05 V1 (83% CS) from washing out on the longer sweeping drifts. The tight stuff was no problem - so long as I was extra careful with the throttle...
I then remember reading this thread and decided to give it a bash...

The result - the longer drifts are WAY easier. No more silly washouts and my drifts are more stable and definitely more controlled!!
Big up for posting this mod!!

snowrider
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: MST MS-01 Carbon CS 2,27; FS-01D CS 2.39; was VDF

Postby snowrider » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I did it in my VDF

revelation ....
model finally works as it should be
Well done and thanks for sharing your idea with us
Last edited by snowrider on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DIY”