FRONT ONE WAY FOR CS

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: YOKOMO MR-4TC RAYSPEED ULTIMATE CONVERSION

FRONT ONE WAY FOR CS

Postby antquinn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 am

Hey!

loving the site by the way, I have learnt so much in so little times!

just a question that I would like an answer to.

With your yokomo sd's running CS, you think that the front one way is better that a ball diff? I have noticed that people say loosen the ball diff off is this right ?

I am running the EZRUN brushless system and at the mo am running hardly and drag brake at all think its 10% but from the videos I have seen on here most people seem to use drag brake to enable a quick direction change, again is this something you guys can confirm is the way to get it right before I learn to CS with my car and then need to change to set up and learn again.

cheers

ant

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Re: FRONT ONE WAY FOR CS

Postby oski83 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:37 am

Hey Ant...I personally have a 1-way front diff on my Yokomo Drift Package. I found it to be very helpful in being able to do tight turns on technical layouts...it allows me to sweep around by simply letting off the throttle while turning into an apex and then cs out of it while back on throttle. This helps me to not have to apply brake unless im going way too hot into an apex. I have a CF main shaft btw....I might swap it to a 1-way shaft to help even more but I want to get comfortable testing/tuning this way first. I have seen other guys have the set up that inclds. both 1-way diff & shaft. GL :up: :D

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 am

interesting !

i may get my car all ready to go try it and then fir the front one way to see whats what

cheers for that one.

what gearing do you use ? off topic just trying to get a good speed system going

ant

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 am

I have a 70/24 installed now, although I havent tested it YET...weather outside has been crazy!

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I have ordered a 20t pinion today so should be here soon , just checked my pit box and i have a 68 - 69 - 70 - 71 -72 tooth spur gears so should be fun have a play about with some options

ant

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:59 pm

68t 69t 70t 71t 72t
8.000 8.118 8.236 8.353 8.471 = 20t
7.619 7.731 7.843 7.955 8.067 = 21t
7.273 7.380 7.487 7.594 7.701 = 22t
6.957 7.059 7.161 7.264 7.366 = 23t
6.667 6.765 6.863 6.961 7.059 = 24t
6.400 6.494 6.588 6.683 6.777 = 25t

these are the FD ratios for the yokomo sd using 48p spur and pinion, just incase nobody understands spur is accross the top and pinion is down the right hand side.

not sure why the 68 to the 72, numbers will not sit where they should but i hope it makes sense

it seems most poeple seem to run 70 & 20 = 8.236 in a counter steer set up.
ant

sil40sx
CSJ Elite
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster LE

Postby sil40sx » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Seems like a loose front dif, can work, but it has crazy understeer off-throttle. If you can work around it, it might be good.
In general, a one way diff and locked diff are easier to work with, since there is no adjustment. Makes things simpler

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I see!

thats a good start to try as the ball diff i am runing is quite tight, i do fancy the idea of getting the one way out again for some dirty skid action

will try asap and give some feed back on.

ant

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Postby valentin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm

sil40sx wrote:Seems like a loose front dif, can work, but it has crazy understeer off-throttle. If you can work around it, it might be good.
In general, a one way diff and locked diff are easier to work with, since there is no adjustment. Makes things simpler

i agree with sil40sx, but here is my .02 added on:
i used to run a prospec balldiff on my cyclone and i had a pretty good setup going (i too feared the oneway :Ono ) but after changing to front oneway i will never go back. i didn't have a problem with stability with the oneway at all, and the car had a faster reaction and felt way more consistent compared to the ball diff. i am also running a center oneway with a front oneway just to try, and i like it. running center oneway and front oneway is generally more common among shaft driven cars because it helps preserve the life of the gears.

hope this helps, and encourages you and anyone who wants to try oneway!

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 am

I will now try the oneway for sure!

I liked it for normal 50 -50 drifting but found its so hard to control at times , with fish tailing etc.

cheers for the info

ant

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Tried the one way and it feels good! The car is so tail happy at low speed though, which is fun to watch looks like I am drunk whilst in control.

Few other things I tried was running the car without weights on the bumper, it feels so wrong with only 10g but put an extra 45 in a felt nice.

I am running soft springs on the rear, do you guys think med or hard is the way to go ? also what do you mean by kick up in the rear? I just read the update on the arai section and it was mentioned there.

Still not running any drag break so one I have the car more stable that will be the next thing to try.

cheers

ant

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:21 am

antquinn wrote:also what do you mean by kick up in the rear? I just read the update on the arai section and it was mentioned there.

kick up in the rear is when the rear front mount is higher than the rear rear mount, so your rear hinge pins are angled higher towards the front of the chassis, also referred to as Anti-Squat. this gives you more off throttle over-steer.
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

so is anti- squat aka kick up a good idea?

how would i do this as my yoke does not have any hight blocks or anything? is this a normal mod to the sd chassis?

ant

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm

antquinn wrote:so is anti- squat aka kick up a good idea?

only if you need off-throttle over

antquinn wrote:how would i do this as my yoke does not have any hight blocks or anything? is this a normal mod to the sd chassis?

the dp should've came with plastic 1mm spacers single hole and 2 holes. if you want to add rear kick-up you use the double hole spacer. you would also need the alum suspension mounts because they have the ball ends so the hinge pins can have greater angle, if you're only suing 1-2mm spacers i don't think you need the alum ones, standard dp parts should be able to to handle it, anything above 2mm alum maybe needed.

Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:31 am

your a star!

i googled kick up and anti squat, yet more to learn about rc cars ! its never ending !!

i would like the car to carry on sliding when off the throttle (i think anyway ) so I will try anti squat on the rear if i have read this right that is?

will try numerous options once I have set the car up to what feels right then do a set up sheet for people to look at, then try out tweaks here and there.

cheers again for your help

ant

antquinn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby antquinn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 am

what about if i use a loose ball diff on the front? is that a good option to try , not going to take the one way out yet just a question that i have been wondering about ?

cheers

ant

Return to “General Discussion”