drifting.... harder than it looks.

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05 V2

Re: drifting.... harder than it looks.

Postby tnorton » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm

thats pretty much what i was asking, maybe i didnt get my point accross well enough. i wanted to know what the difference was, why if you wanted a softer feel would u lay your shocks down? most my rc tuning knowledge is from SC but shocks are shocks if u lay them down it makes the action harder, not softer. i am going to be testing alot of different settings to tune the car in to my likeing, im just not very knowledgable on the physics of them all.

cubadragon
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: MST FS-01D 80% & MS-01D Pro 80%

Postby cubadragon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:18 pm

That's good knowing too much is a down fall of some people. Over thinking something if it works why would you change it. I seen guys have chassis so smooth from some of the hardest chassis to control. Then he play with more and mess it up.

dencio1976
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Tamiya 414M/TA03R

Postby dencio1976 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 pm

at less than 70% of overdrive, you dont really need that much setup knowledge to be able to track it without spinning out. what you need is throttle and steering control practice. not setup change. ^_^

dont let setup alone do the drift for you.

tip:
when you initiate a drift, do not let off the throttle especially if you have a front one way installed. you have to be very smooth with throttle. this applies to any setup. you'll be faster that way too. you can do multiple switches once you've learned this

FunkRenegade
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: brokomo DIB

Postby FunkRenegade » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 pm

x1,000. There is no special setup that will cure bad technique. I know many people asking around for setup advices, but they just need to learn to drive first. People who just point and shoot, or steer full lock every time need not worry about setup. Most of the time, properly built, tweak free car will do fine with just springs and tire changes. Tuning isn't 'set it and forget it', and it's not about throwing on $1000 worth of parts. It's a constant on going process.

dencio1976 wrote:at less than 70% of overdrive, you dont really need that much setup knowledge to be able to track it without spinning out. what you need is throttle and steering control practice. not setup change. ^_^

dont let setup alone do the drift for you.

tip:
when you initiate a drift, do not let off the throttle especially if you have a front one way installed. you have to be very smooth with throttle. this applies to any setup. you'll be faster that way too. you can do multiple switches once you've learned this

tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby tnorton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:17 am

ok. so its been a while since my last post. but i FINALLY got my parts in, new alum rear diff halfs and a 16t center pully for the front. which should now set my cs to 86%. its taking some practice and some patience. but i need some advice from people with more knowledge that i.

i drift on concret, nothing polished just plain old road concret. my question is this, what tires should i be using? currently i have what i believe are hpi t-drifts. i bought them a very long time ago and im just not 100% sure anymore what they are, i know they are hpi tho. reason i ask is because i seem to have no grip at all. now, in drifting i know the point is to not have any grip, but i need gripper tires, iv seen people in videos make tight switches, quick corners and u-turns. i can do those thigns but in a MUCH MUCH larger fasion, nothin close and tight it takes alot of space. its like i just keep going in that direction. i mean i can drift in circles but large ones. when i do small ones i get maybe 3/4 way around and the rear comes right around.

iv added like 5-7oz of weight to the front to try and give it more grip and more dominance but im pretty sure its tries. wrong tire wrong surface. anyone out there able to help.

dencio1976
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Tamiya 414M/TA03R

Postby dencio1976 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:44 am

hpi t drift are just about right for concrete surface drifting. if you want more grip, then you can go for tamiya drifttechs or those china threaded tires that have even more grip.

if i were you, id get them all(all types). so you can experiment with it as well. ^_^

tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby tnorton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:01 pm

thanks, thats exactly the info i was lookin to hear.

tamiya
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA01/2/3/4/5/6, TBeIII/IV/5, TB03, ProD...

Postby tamiya » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:53 am

T-Drifts are great on concrete, but you should be aware of ambient temperature too.

If its too cold they won't grip, works better when its warmed up to 20-25degC minimum.

Also they lose grip once overheated, which can happen on a CS car at the rear
which get too hot vs the front which holds right temp; then you start doing donuts.

T-Drifts don't seem to age, so that's one less spanner in the equation.
(i've been keeping originals from when they first came out,
then comparing to every subsequent batch i've bought)

Return to “General Discussion”