3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS (currently building)

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 pm

eunique wrote:I can't believe you have that much patience to wait on the build...I was like a kid on Christmas morning tearing into this thing and making multiple orders along the way as hop ups got released for it.

Haha, normally I'm the same way with stuff. Thing is I really don't have any indoor tracks or anything in the area, and I've really been looking forward to finally getting my slide on outside after all the time spent drifting Mini-Zs. Weather has been beyond nasty here in Michigan so I haven't been quite as motivated...I still need to actually place my final order for the body/pinion/servo.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS

Postby eunique » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Went back to higher CS...gotten used to 1.81 CS...put back my aluminum 22T for rear pulley but I can't find my 13T..so staying with 14T rear center pulleywhich gives me 1.99 CS

Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Alright no crisis this time, but here's another question.

The plastic outer joints on the solid axles have a flange that holds the aluminum cover in place on them, but there's nothing like this on the aluminum outer joints on my one-way. Should I leave them off or is there some way to keep them in place once it's all together?

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01

Postby Emerpus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

TakeshiSkunk wrote:Alright no crisis this time, but here's another question.

The plastic outer joints on the solid axles have a flange that holds the aluminum cover in place on them, but there's nothing like this on the aluminum outer joints on my one-way. Should I leave them off or is there some way to keep them in place once it's all together?

I left mine off

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am

Are there any confirmed drop-in fit stealth mounts for the D3 yet? Or does everything require some degree of modification to install? I was sort of planning to just put velcro on cut off body posts initially but I'd prefer to have a nicer system if one will go in easily.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I got some Eagle Racing..needs mods..drill new holes in alum bumper plate or use spacers and longer screws to reach the stock front posts
Sakura D3 CS

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01

Postby Emerpus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm

I bought the eagle racing one too. Planning on cutting the front peice in half.

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 am

Jesus christ, I just finished the front upper shaft/gear assembly on this thing, either I overlooked some easy way to do all of that or it was just excruciatingly tedious and difficult. Between getting those gears lined up for the spring pins and actually managing to get the pins themselves into the thing that was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever had to do. It took me over two hours and I almost lost a washer and one of the spring pins.

How did you guys do that part? I feel like I must be some kind of idiot or I would have seen at least one other person complain about it. If you have any advice it would be pretty handy before I move on to the rear.

Also, how do you go about changing belts on this thing? Do you just remove and disassemble the entire front bulkhead every time?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 am

The titanium shafts are way better with the aluminum pulleys...
But to at least get this going...look at YouTube...there are videos on how to easily do that part...both to install and remove.
Good luck...if you get frustrated...walk away from it...to come back when you have relaxed. Otherwise you could end up breaking things
Sakura D3 CS

jp0160
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Sakura D3 CS Sport

Postby jp0160 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:37 am

TakeshiSkunk wrote:Jesus christ, I just finished the front upper shaft/gear assembly on this thing, either I overlooked some easy way to do all of that or it was just excruciatingly tedious and difficult. Between getting those gears lined up for the spring pins and actually managing to get the pins themselves into the thing that was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever had to do. It took me over two hours and I almost lost a washer and one of the spring pins.

How did you guys do that part? I feel like I must be some kind of idiot or I would have seen at least one other person complain about it. If you have any advice it would be pretty handy before I move on to the rear.

Also, how do you go about changing belts on this thing? Do you just remove and disassemble the entire front bulkhead every time?

I lined up the holes in the pulleys with the shaft, then I pinched the tips of the spring pins to let them sit in the pulley a little, then squeezed em in with some channel-locks. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Alright I just finished up the belts and stuff, delayed due to screwing my back up the other night.

I was wondering if this all looked right so far, I was a bit concerned about the slight play in the front upper pulleys and the flex in the rear mounts. The thing that concerns me the most, however, is the second picture. My front one-way hub is rubbing the belt, and it's even catching those screws occasionally.

Tommy R
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Sakura D3

Postby Tommy R » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:57 pm

There's a pink aluminum spacer between the pulley and the mounting face of the one-way. Remove it and you'll be good to go. Ask me how I know! ;)

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Hm, I'm not sure I understand how that would help. That would bring the pulley closer to the belt and make the screws stick through even further unless I'm misunderstanding.

This is the actual D3 one way, I know people were saying something about leaving a spacer off of the Sakura Zero one to get it to fit this chassis.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:17 am

You can put small (1mm) spacers under the rear upper pulley mount...better under the rear part of upper deck chassis frame. It will get the right tension on the center belt. Also lift that center upper deck so u don't scrape your batteries when u insert and remove them. Otherwise, stock, there is too much center belt slop.
Plus when u install the Bulkhead covers, that will further seat the front and rear axles.
Make sure you have the pulley and thin spacer and screws oriented correctly on the front one way...otherwise you will keep shredding belts
Sakura D3 CS

Tommy R
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Sakura D3

Postby Tommy R » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:02 pm

TakeshiSkunk wrote:Hm, I'm not sure I understand how that would help. That would bring the pulley closer to the belt and make the screws stick through even further unless I'm misunderstanding.

This is the actual D3 one way, I know people were saying something about leaving a spacer off of the Sakura Zero one to get it to fit this chassis.

Ah, right! Sorry, I misunderstood your problem...

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:53 pm

What size spacers should I be looking for? I'm guessing small enough that I'll only be able to find them at a hobby shop?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:39 pm

just 1mm thick washers...rcmart has them, LHS would probably carry something similar as well...3racing brand used for both Sakura Zero S and D3 CS Sport...
they come in 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm thicknesses...
I ordered most of the sizes as you can use them in multiple places...you can use those for the lower A arm spacers for the pins instead of the plastic ones that come with the kit
Sakura D3 CS

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am

Seriously thank you guys so much for bearing with me on all this haha. I feel stupid having to ask so many basic questions but this is all new to me, I really appreciate it.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm

No worries...you are welcome. ..I felt the same way when I was getting back into RCs. Im just glad when I am able to help coz I got help also when I needed it
Sakura D3 CS

tokodrift
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Sport

Postby tokodrift » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:07 pm

The thing that concerns me the most, however, is the second picture. My front one-way hub is rubbing the belt, and it's even catching those screws occasionally.
The same thing was happening to me, it wasn't always catching on the screws but sometimes riding up on the aluminum piece. I solved the issue by turning my belt-tensioner around so it was pointing/inclining forwards. So in effect moving the tensioning point further forward. Any way, by doing this it raised the belt enough over the FOW that it no longer catches.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Hmm...thats weird. I never had issues with that
Sakura D3 CS

forzanoob
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Sport

Postby forzanoob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 am

Ok i have a question. What would cause this silver pin (reference photo below) to come out and cause the hub to do that (reference the other photo)?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

Common problem...CVDs weren't built right.
Take out the pin...use a Dremel to grind a flat spot in the middle of it....the set screw will bite down into that flat spot so that the pin doesn't spin out of the set screw.
Use a little red thread lock on the set screw so it doesnt back out due to vibrations.
Done.
Will not come out anymore.
Sakura D3 CS

Tiger.T
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: ABC Hobby Genetic / Sakura D3 CS

Postby Tiger.T » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 am

Hi guys, I got a quick question.
My LHS finally got a bunch of D3s in stock so I grabbed one last weekend.
The kits they ordered are the pre-assembled ones. I also got a FOW and the SSG lower deck.
I haven't drifted the chassis yet but some kid was already back at my LHS whit his own D3 complaining about the CS ratio.
I drove his chassis to get a feel for it and HOLY HELL! the stock CS ratio is 2.0! Is that a normal factory setup ? I thought, for some reason, that the stock Cs ratio was 1.5. Any idea?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby eunique » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:37 am

FOW is very good for this chassis..at least for most of us feel that way.
CS ratio stock is 2.14 but with CS drifitng..this is good...it is high. but, with lots of practice,
you will get good at it. it's a great chassis and i am loving it.
that is the normal stock ratio for this chassis, which is good for this front motor drift CS specific chassis.
i initially lowered my ratio down to 1.81 CS, but now getting a little used to it...so I am putting it back up to 2.14
i'm running 1.99 CS right now. and soon as i find my 13T aluminum pulley, i will be back at 2.14 CS.
just remember 50/50 difting is completely different way to drift.

try to use more gentle and smooth application of throttle inputs...and you are controlling a lot and pulling into the drift more with throttle inputs..less steering inputs..because the overdriven rear wheels will do a lot of the drift angles for you..let the chassis do that for you...then control it with trottle and some steering here and there.
Sakura D3 CS

Return to “General Discussion”