3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 am

no, not yet...sorry I have been busy with work. I probably won't get to it until next week.
i'll keep you updated.
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

jp0160
What's CS?
What's CS?
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm
Drift Chassis: Sakura D3 CS Sport
Location: Canada

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby jp0160 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am

I've been running my D3 as RWD for a few weeks now while I wait to order my belts, and I've gotta say the RWD is growing on me! With a nice slow stock motor, some tire tuning and almost 1lb of weight on the front end it's actually very controllable. I have heard that the RWD drifters are just too slow to keep up, but I don't see that being the case. I was easily catching up and drifting past my buddies sakura Zero

Does anyone know if a locked front axle on a RWD car makes a difference as opposed to an open front axle?

forzanoob
What's CS?
What's CS?
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:00 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Sport
Location: U.S.A

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby forzanoob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Has anyone tried the sakura wide angle shafts? Are they good? And recently my wheel chatter has gotten worse. It only happens when i CS to the left. Even when i turned down my endpoints. Could it be the belts or just shafts?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

The chatter is from limitation of the stock drive shafts...you need wider angle CVds
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01
Location: SoCal

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby Emerpus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

I bought the wide angles but i havent had time to install them or even try out the d3 stock.

User avatar
SkR8Pn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm
Drift Chassis: R31, D3, 16FM
Location: QLD, AUSTRALIA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby SkR8Pn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am

jp0160 wrote:I've been running my D3 as RWD for a few weeks now while I wait to order my belts, and I've gotta say the RWD is growing on me! With a nice slow stock motor, some tire tuning and almost 1lb of weight on the front end it's actually very controllable. I have heard that the RWD drifters are just too slow to keep up, but I don't see that being the case. I was easily catching up and drifting past my buddies sakura Zero

Does anyone know if a locked front axle on a RWD car makes a difference as opposed to an open front axle?


i would run it open personally, get rid of the spool, dog bones and cross spiders and use that area to throw some weight in there. Work on your steering and knuckles to be able to get as much angle possible.....
Last edited by SkR8Pn on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jp0160
What's CS?
What's CS?
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm
Drift Chassis: Sakura D3 CS Sport
Location: Canada

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby jp0160 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 am

SkR8Pn wrote:
jp0160 wrote:I've been running my D3 as RWD for a few weeks now while I wait to order my belts, and I've gotta say the RWD is growing on me! With a nice slow stock motor, some tire tuning and almost 1lb of weight on the front end it's actually very controllable. I have heard that the RWD drifters are just too slow to keep up, but I don't see that being the case. I was easily catching up and drifting past my buddies sakura Zero

Does anyone know if a locked front axle on a RWD car makes a difference as opposed to an open front axle?


i would run it open personally, get rid of the spool, dog bones and cross spiders and use that area to through some weight in there. Work on your steering and knuckles to be able to get as much angle possible.....

That's almost how I'm running it now. I took out the dogbones but the spool is still in, I've got a bunch of lead on my front bumper but I never thought of sticking it where the spool was! I've "deleted" the C-hub and modded the steering a bit so I have (roughly) 55* of steering.

I noticed that sometimes the front inner wheel will stop and spin me out when during very tight corners or almost negative entries. I was wondering if putting the bones back in would help keep them both spinning instead of stalling out? But they might bind up with the bones in and the extra steering and just make it worse...

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01
Location: SoCal

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby Emerpus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Center
Image
Right
Image
Left
Image

This is with a FOW, the Wide Angle CVDs, Alum. Front bulkhead and alum steering.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 am

Emperus, So, did you notice better steering and NO chatter from the 3racing D3 wide angle CVDs?
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01
Location: SoCal

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby Emerpus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm

I really dont notice a difference but its probably because i didnt use it a lot and i am still new to cs. Only problem i have is the wheel hits the dampners since i put the bottom ball ends to the outer hole so there is more angle w the front suspension.

eunique, have you installed the stealth mounts yet? I just want to know if the front is a perfect fit.

User avatar
SkR8Pn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm
Drift Chassis: R31, D3, 16FM
Location: QLD, AUSTRALIA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby SkR8Pn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 am

jp0160 wrote:
SkR8Pn wrote:
jp0160 wrote:I've been running my D3 as RWD for a few weeks now while I wait to order my belts, and I've gotta say the RWD is growing on me! With a nice slow stock motor, some tire tuning and almost 1lb of weight on the front end it's actually very controllable. I have heard that the RWD drifters are just too slow to keep up, but I don't see that being the case. I was easily catching up and drifting past my buddies sakura Zero

Does anyone know if a locked front axle on a RWD car makes a difference as opposed to an open front axle?


i would run it open personally, get rid of the spool, dog bones and cross spiders and use that area to through some weight in there. Work on your steering and knuckles to be able to get as much angle possible.....

That's almost how I'm running it now. I took out the dogbones but the spool is still in, I've got a bunch of lead on my front bumper but I never thought of sticking it where the spool was! I've "deleted" the C-hub and modded the steering a bit so I have (roughly) 55* of steering.

I noticed that sometimes the front inner wheel will stop and spin me out when during very tight corners or almost negative entries. I was wondering if putting the bones back in would help keep them both spinning instead of stalling out? But they might bind up with the bones in and the extra steering and just make it worse...


Check to see if anything is rubbing at full lock whilst rotating the wheel. I wouldn't add the db's back in as theoretically it will cause understeer.

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Emerpus wrote:
eunique, have you installed the stealth mounts yet? I just want to know if the front is a perfect fit.


Well...finally tried to get those mounts in....No, not a direct fit unfortunately...but with some mods...it'll work.
Just have to drill a couple holes into the protector plate.

Sorry for the delay posting pics

Image
Image
Image
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01
Location: SoCal

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby Emerpus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Darn didnt really feel like modding but i guess u gotta do whatever it takes to have a clean look :up:

forzanoob
What's CS?
What's CS?
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:00 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Sport
Location: U.S.A

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby forzanoob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm

does anyone drift on regular road surface like in the streets? is so what tires do you use because when i tried yesterday it wasnt catching any grip?

Emerpus
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm
Drift Chassis: Yokomo MR-4TC SD, Tamiya TT01
Location: SoCal

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby Emerpus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 am

forzanoob wrote:does anyone drift on regular road surface like in the streets? is so what tires do you use because when i tried yesterday it wasnt catching any grip?


Any PVC/ABS tire should be good. Probably just got to break them in a bit.

Eunique, What is the flat piece made of?! The piece you put the velcro on?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 am

It's all aluminum
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS (currently building)
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Alright I FINALLY got my tap and die set, the hardware in this set is 0.5 pitch right?

User avatar
SkR8Pn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm
Drift Chassis: R31, D3, 16FM
Location: QLD, AUSTRALIA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby SkR8Pn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 am

TakeshiSkunk wrote: is 0.5 pitch right?


0.5 tpi is correct. Two full turns(clockwise) then one full turn back(counter)... Doing it this way will clean the tap and cut a even thread. Take your time as there is no fast way to thread plastic. Good luck

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS (currently building)
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Well I'm starting to feel like I'm destined to never finish this project. After getting all except for the last bit of the front lower suspension tapped and mounted to the chassis, I managed to screw up such that the screw cant reach the threads through the bottom of the chassis. What's the best way to deal with this? I'm hesitant to put CA in there because I know how tough that stuff is.

For now I've stuffed some scraps of paper into the holes to give the screws a bit of traction, it seems to be holding decently but I'd like to know if there's a more effective option.

User avatar
SkR8Pn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm
Drift Chassis: R31, D3, 16FM
Location: QLD, AUSTRALIA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby SkR8Pn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 pm

TakeshiSkunk wrote:Well I'm starting to feel like I'm destined to never finish this project. After getting all except for the last bit of the front lower suspension tapped and mounted to the chassis, I managed to screw up such that the screw cant reach the threads through the bottom of the chassis. What's the best way to deal with this? I'm hesitant to put CA in there because I know how tough that stuff is.

For now I've stuffed some scraps of paper into the holes to give the screws a bit of traction, it seems to be holding decently but I'd like to know if there's a more effective option.


I'm not sure as to what you mean? Is the screw to short or have you tried to go to deep with the tapered tap and pulled thread? If you've pulled thread use teflon tape (plumbers tape) wrap the screw a couple of times and drive it in. Don't try and let the thread pull it in as this will only take a the edge off what ever thread is left.

Alternatively get a longer screw and use the bottom tap(flat end)to tap the very end of the hole. You should have three m3 x 0.5 Tpi taps in a set Two should be tapered, one more tapered than the other and one flat end. The flat end does the final stage of the tapping the hole.

Don't use ca!

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS (currently building)
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 am

OHHH right I feel like an idiot for not thinking of teflon tape! I have a roll of that sitting around from airsoft projects. My cheap tap set only had one 3x0.5, and I just messed up and pulled the threads in those holes. Everything else to that point went well though.

Thank you for the help!

User avatar
SkR8Pn
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm
Drift Chassis: R31, D3, 16FM
Location: QLD, AUSTRALIA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby SkR8Pn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 am

TakeshiSkunk wrote:OHHH right I feel like an idiot for not thinking of teflon tape! I have a roll of that sitting around from airsoft projects. My cheap tap set only had one 3x0.5, and I just messed up and pulled the threads in those holes. Everything else to that point went well though.

Thank you for the help!


your welcome

forzanoob
What's CS?
What's CS?
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:00 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Sport
Location: U.S.A

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby forzanoob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

How much would one of the be worth used do you all think?

TakeshiSkunk
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS (currently building)
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby TakeshiSkunk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 am

OK finally making some progress on this thing. I think I understand how to tap properly now and everything is going together easier.

Should I build everything according to instructions and then swap in my my FOW, or just try to incorporate it into the initial build?

eunique
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am
Drift Chassis: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, Sakura Zero CS
Location: Gilroy, CA USA

Re: 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS

Postby eunique » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:31 pm

I can't believe you have that much patience to wait on the build...I was like a kid on Christmas morning tearing into this thing and making multiple orders along the way as hop ups got released for it

Nah....just put in the FOW instead of the stock solid axle.
Sakura D3 CS
Sakura Zero CS (yes, 1.74 CS)


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests