best esc/motor on the market

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05 VDF

best esc/motor on the market

Postby tatmanfish » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 am

Ive researched most everything on the market and I was looking mainly at tekin. I posted in the wanted section but ive decided to gather some more information.

Cost means nothing and I prefer to buy something a little higher end. Ive had a bunch of castler and a couple hobbywings, and im tired of having them repaired or replaced whats seems like 1-2 times a year.

Im looking for sensored brushless with some sort of programming software/card. Ive only been into electrics for a couple years now and dabbled a little back in the day before lipos and brushless motors.

From what I can tell Tekin seems to be the best. They provide numbers for all their escs and motors and they seem to be above everyone elses. This is a big selling point for me because I cant seem to find info on a lot of companies websites.

Ive also looked at LRP, team orion, speed passion, novak, viper, castle, hobbywing...any im missing?

Basically looking for the highest quality regardless of price. Thanks guys.
Last edited by tatmanfish on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Re: best esc/motor on the market

Postby tatmanfish » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 am

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew the major differences betwen the tekin rs and rs pro. I do t see much of a difference.

The motor I was looking at was the tekin gen2 redlines. Their kv rating compared to the turn rating is much higher than most egery brand. Their kv rating for. 10.5 was pushing the same kv as most companies 8.5. Anyone try these yet or have any opinions.

SDDK
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: team magic e4d mf pro

Postby SDDK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 am

TBH for the price of a tekin rs pro i wouldnt bother well in AUS anyways the price is realy high i bought a SP reventon pro combo and absolutley love it

marshun
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: yokomo drift package

Postby marshun » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 am

i've seen countless hobbywings fail. and i've seen a bunch of castle motors fail too.

i currently run a novak 8.5 sport and i gear it as low as possible. i clean it out once in a while and make sure the bearings have oil (the bearings i'll clean more often)

but ive had a novak esc burn up. no idea why. but it was replaced so quick (1 week) that i wasnt upset about it at all

im currently looking for another motor too. but im thinking of getting another novak (i currently have 2) but most likely it will be a 10.5 turn

easy motors to set up.

STEVE TC5R
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TEAM ASSOCIATED TC5R

Postby STEVE TC5R » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 am

Dr.Fate
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: GPX-R, R31ML, OTA-ZEON & RWD D.D.C.

Postby Dr.Fate » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I have the tekin RS pro, I like it. I also have a KO-PRO-PO BLZ350, that I like as well. Novak is some straight crap, PERIOD. Stay away, trust me. One good reason there ESC's only seem to work with novak motors...Fail. KO-PRO-PO BLZ350 is really nice for the price 85-120 on the same level as Yokomo HOBBY WING and some others that use program cards but for the cost can not be beat IMO. Now my Tekin? Hmmm... If the BLZ350 was a car it would be a S13, so my Tekin is The GTR BLACK Edition.

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Postby valentin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 pm

speedpassion ESCs
Reedy Sonic motors

:up: :twisted:

bajaboy5b
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3 VDFs :P

Postby bajaboy5b » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm biased but Speed Passion ESC's seem to last forever, I have a GT 2.0 pro from 2009 that still works like new and my GT 2.o LPF in my VDF that's very good. Their line of MMM V3 motors are good though there is smoother out there, LRP or Reedy.

-Jeremy
Team PINK!!!

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby tatmanfish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:51 am

Keyence is something I havent seen before. Wish they had a few more numbers on them.

Im going to choose betwen the tekin and speed passions. Those seem to have good numbers and consistent reviews. Seems like most others quality reflects their price. Im tired of replacing electronics. I just want somethi g I glcan get a few years oht of with good maintenance.

Thanks guys.

marshun
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: yokomo drift package

Postby marshun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:21 am

Dr.Fate wrote:I have the tekin RS pro, I like it. I also have a KO-PRO-PO BLZ350, that I like as well. Novak is some straight crap, PERIOD. Stay away, trust me. One good reason there ESC's only seem to work with novak motors...Fail. KO-PRO-PO BLZ350 is really nice for the price 85-120 on the same level as Yokomo HOBBY WING and some others that use program cards but for the cost can not be beat IMO. Now my Tekin? Hmmm... If the BLZ350 was a car it would be a S13, so my Tekin is The GTR BLACK Edition.

i didnt realize that swapping esc's was an issue for anyone.

A1rwav3
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Overdose Vacula RWD

Postby A1rwav3 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Just my small experiece, I do a lot of touring races and I've tried a lot of different models:
- KO BLS, interesting, compact, good feeling, but you will need a computer to change cartography.
- Hobbywing v2.1: big but powerful, good feeling. A great weapon if you want to deal with timing...
- Hobbywing v3.0: smaller, lower TDP, THE weapon if you are running boosted 10.5
- Tekin RS Pro: Very compact, nice software, but very brutal once you start to play with the timing. That's the only ESC I have which support CCW rotation.
- Dualsky XC870TF: As compact as the tekin, better software and better feeling, but no CCW rotation.

Ok I know there are grip considerations... I use Tekin RS Pro on my TCFD, as I have a FBD...

slikbimm 04
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA03F David Jun

Postby slikbimm 04 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:46 pm

I purchased a tekin rs and 10.5t motor for around $280 the thing is amazing really easy to program, watched a couple of youtube vids and now Im understanding on how to program the thing I also like that the hotwire system is not required unless you wanna make a custom setting then you will have to buy it so you can program it from laptop. I am gonna be getting the hot wire set up as well it is around $30. buy the TEKIN !! its some top of line sh**t lol
Tamiya TA03F David Jun/ TC3 200mm Rally/

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby tatmanfish » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 am

Yep, ebded up getting a tekin rs with a 9.5t redline motor slightly used for $150. They are awesome, program easy, and I havent had any heat issues. With other escs I either had to have one with a fan or they overheated and i had reduced my gear ratio almost to the point where my motor mount couldnt accomadate a smaller pinion.

I was able to bump up a few teeth and still keep the esc temps really low. Their motors are smooth as could be as well. Their motors are just a hair longer than most others due to the casing so I had to shave about a mm off my chassis to get it to fit. That was the only downside.

Love it and suggest it to everyone. Well worth the $$$.

Return to “General Discussion”