DIB advice

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo mr-4tc, DIB, DRB

DIB advice

Postby gerakatom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:33 pm

ive decided to buy a DIB. blue. (dont feel like buying new electronics). im gonna get the 2 grade up kits, but was hoping to get some help first. it says something about counter steer but i cant figure out if the kit comes with cs set up or not. if it does what %? also i wanna upgrade the steering angle. stock is 45%. do they have a kit for that or do i need to mod it with aftermarket parts? and what else is recommended. i wanna get it all in one shot rather than wait for parts to come in the mail all month. im gonna go with banzai hobbies unless someone knows of a cheaper outfit. thanks for the help. so over the VDF.

GenkiRF
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DIB 1.8

Re: DIB advice

Postby GenkiRF » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm

The DIB doesn't come with counter steer, the easiest way to cs it is by buying the Yokomo FCD gear set for the DIB. The FCD kits come in either 1.3, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0cs ratios. As far as percent, it's basically 30%, 50%, 80%, and 100%. As for increasing the steering angle, you can shave the stock c-hubs and redrill the holes in the stock steering blocks to increase the steering angle.

If you increase the steering angle, I recommend buying some high angle CVD's.
Check out my blog @ http://madhouserc.blogspot.ca/

RE-Xtreme
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Dp SSG 1.8, DRB 1.5, DIB 275 1.8

Postby RE-Xtreme » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 am

No Countersteer. Just a front one way.

You can get a little flexibility in ratios if you get some different pulley gears (like 13T and a 17T for the centre pulley.) you can usually got up or down .4 with that on the stock belt
you just need to play with tensioners.

Overdose make a steering upgrade but you only get about 3 deg extra for 8000 yen. you can decide if thats worth it.

Front castor is your choice.there are many choices with that.

I run 2.3 cs on my DIB with no issues with stock steering. I run a bit more toe out that most though.
Yokomo FCD 2.0 set (belt and rear axle)
Also custom 13T front Center pulley with a custom 12T free tensioner

Depending on how much CS you want these are pretty flexible chassis.
Visit me for more info on http://rextremerc.blogspot.com/

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:59 pm

oh. ok. so just buy this?
http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/dr ... b-1.8-rear
im used to changing more than 1 pulley to change ratio so those kits confused me a bit.

i think 8000 yen for 3 degrees is a bit steep. i think ill try shaving the c hubs. after that it looks like these will be a good replacement for the shafts?
http://banzaihobby.com/Yokomo-TS-2133

as far as redrilling the holes im a bit lost. maybe after i have it all in front of me it will make sense but in the meantime maybe a little more of an explanation? dill bit size maybe?

thanks guys!!! cant wait to ditch this VDF.

RE-Xtreme
CSJ VIP

Postby RE-Xtreme » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 am

yes, those parts will do just fine.

If you get these, you won't need to shave the c hub. It's only a small spend.

http://banzaihobby.com/Yokomo-IB-41307
and this collar for the bearing sleeve section.
http://www.teamyokomo.com/partslist/d/parts_d_125.html

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 am

sweet. good to know. this is why i asked for help here. thank you. ide rather spend a bit on a few parts than cut pieces up. the collars are used for the bearings in the caster blocks?

RE-Xtreme
CSJ VIP

Postby RE-Xtreme » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 am

yes indeed.
you don't need the knuckles as well that way.

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 am

Seems odd they wouldnt come with the hardware. well. whatever. cool. thank you for your help sir.

pher0
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC

Postby pher0 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 am

would those hubs be any good on other chassis, might help get more angle out my cyclone

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 pm

the yen is down and right about even with the dollar today. looks like the right time to buy. theyre out of thr grade up kits and king pins but everything else is in stock.

marshun
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: yokomo drift package

Postby marshun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 pm

the vdf is one of the easiest drift chassis to set up. whats the reason youre over it?

the dib is decent IMO but i feel that the vdf is better. thats the reason i bought a vdf 2 and its just a tad better than the first version.

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 am

marshun wrote:the vdf is one of the easiest drift chassis to set up. whats the reason youre over it?

the dib is decent IMO but i feel that the vdf is better. thats the reason i bought a vdf 2 and its just a tad better than the first version.

cause its super rigid. the shocks suck. i gotta tune it too a tee just to get good performance. i thought i was upgrading from my mr-4tc when i bought it but i was wrong.

GenkiRF
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby GenkiRF » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 pm

I wouldn't say the shocks suck lol, Tamiya TRF Dampers are one of, if not the best dampers on the market...

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

GenkiRF wrote:I wouldn't say the shocks suck lol, Tamiya TRF Dampers are one of, if not the best dampers on the market...

well, i dunno. i dont like them. maybe its just with them comboed with this chassis. or maybe cause i got the chassis used and previous owner did the hamster mod. i took the plastic film out, drilled the holes in the pistons to 1.2 mm with 250 and 300 oil, and every combo of spring i could come across and they never feel right to me. if your interested in owning another one lemme know. it will come with 4 sets af CS kits, stock parts plus hop ups. aluminum bulkheads, like 3-4 different toe adjustments, etc.

RE-Xtreme
CSJ VIP

Postby RE-Xtreme » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

the VDF II is similar to the DIB chassis. ie. more flex.

The chassis flex in the VDFII is immense, which means the shock setting becomes less important. that's why it's easier to tune.
Some people like that style. it's just preference in RC.

from my experience, absolutely any chassis can perform well.

the trend is RC these days (apart from 2wd) is the tendency to have a flexible chassis and a Linked suspension system based around chassis roll while keeping wheels vertical and maintaining tyre contact. In this setup. may be only one shock is even needed, (just to absorb bump).
Older chassis setups involve rigid chassis and accurate shock setting. like a real car.
This is still the case in grip and all chassis are basically the same 2 belt, narrow chassis layout.

sorry for the hijak.

If you want to have fun. Buy the same chassis as your friend, run exactly the same specs and tandem all day long. if you tune them together (like a team) you will both improve with testing made easier on 2 chassis.

sliding_josh
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: DIB,DRB,FR-D

Postby sliding_josh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 pm

RE-Xtreme wrote:the VDF II is similar to the DIB chassis. ie. more flex.

The chassis flex in the VDFII is immense, which means the shock setting becomes less important. that's why it's easier to tune.

the trend is RC these days (apart from 2wd) is the tendency to have a flexible chassis and a Linked suspension system based around chassis roll while keeping wheels vertical and maintaining tyre contact. In this setup. may be only one shock is even needed, (just to absorb bump).
Older chassis setups involve rigid chassis and accurate shock setting. like a real car.
This is still the case in grip and all chassis are basically the same 2 belt, narrow chassis layout.

sorry for the hijak.

If you want to have fun. Buy the same chassis as your friend, run exactly the same specs and tandem all day long. if you tune them together (like a team) you will both improve with testing made easier on 2 chassis.

+ 1 on that!

Well Said Russ!

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am

RE-Xtreme wrote:the VDF II is similar to the DIB chassis. ie. more flex.

sorry for the hijak.

exactly why i chose to go with the DIB. im not a pro at tuning these things so i feel more comfortable going back to a more forgiving chassis.
it showed up today. i swear i just ordered it a few days ago. the tracking still said it was in aichi. anyway, those caster blocks are sick. im gonna get another set for my mr4-tc. cant wait to build this thing. gonna wait a few months till my girl goes back to japan. itll be good to wait and get those grade up kits b4 i start, as apposed to breaking it down again. anyway, thanks for the help. you answered my questions head on.

GenkiRF
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby GenkiRF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 am

If you are looking to order the grade up kits online before then, here are a few options for you:

http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.com/ ... 91_160_171
http://rc-art.net/cat_eng/DIB/

Also you can send Super Rajikon a message with the parts #'s you are looking for, and they will email you back with their price. They can get the Grade Up package for you:
http://www.super-rc.com/contact_us.php

I know people that have bought from RC-Art, but I have only dealt with the other 2, and they are good. Super RC will almost always have cheaper prices than Race and Drift Japan.

Good luck with the DIB, it's a fun chassis!

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 am

ill wait a few weeks and see if banzai has them in stock again. if not ill go elsewhere, but banzai will do the small package shipping which is only a few dollars. i dunno about race and drift but super rc wanted to charge $42 for EMS for a bumper support. gonna do blue for the bulkheads and for fun do the gunmetal for the other grade up pack. make it look a little different than the rest. i think the gunmetal will look nice with the blue and the ssg decks. i got a chunk of the 3M auto paint protector film for the bottom of the deck. they say to apply it with soapy water and rubbing alcohol and all this other nonsense. anybody have experience with that stuff? can i just peel the back off and carefully stick it on?

GenkiRF
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby GenkiRF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Treating the deck with rubbing alcohol will clean it of any leftover residue from the manufacturer, and dirt and oils from your hands from touching it. This will allow the 3m protection film to adhere a lot better. The soapy water part can be skipped since the part is so small, just take your time when applying it.

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 pm

cool. thanks. i didnt want to mess with that.
how about damper shaft advice? whats better, Titanium Coat or Titanium nitride Coated?

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Mon May 13, 2013 2:16 am

well, i decided to buy new electronics anyways. at least motor and esc. im leaning toward this:

http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-cha ... =1560_1301

from what i've read the esc seems quite descent. i like the onboard switch and cooling system (whatever it is). i was about to add to cart and purchase till i read its made in Hong Kong. im a bit weary of buying anything manufactured that close to china. i guess technically it is china now, i dunno, im not quite sure. ive been there and im still not quite sure. anyway, anybody with speed passion experience please chime in and give a little input please. thank you.

the build went quite well. only took about 4-5 hours of my time. my only gripe was the left rear belt tensioner collar seemed to be quite a tight fit.

also im thinking of going with a low profile servo. im a savox guy but i think i wanna switch it up this time. ive heard good things about ino labs and OMG's but cant seem to find an english site to purchase them from. any help there would be cool too.

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Postby valentin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:02 am

speedpassion escs are awesome, especially the new Reventon series. I only run speedpassion ESCs but yes, they are manufactured in hongkong...but what isnt made in hong kong/china nowadays? The build quality and features of the esc are very impressive despite the low price you pay. the only real "downside" I see to the brand is that the customer service for Speedpassion USA is mediocre at best. Many guys also run hobbywing, which is practically the same as Speedpassion(same r&d/factory i think) but I believe slightly more expensive (atleast here in the U.S.?).

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 pm

ok cool. sold. i run hobbywing setups in my other 2 chassis. i wanna try something new this time. thanks for the help.

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:06 am

so, she's all finished. heres how it turned out. havnt driven it yet. hopefully it drives as good as it looks. with all the upgrades, electronics, and a couple shorty lipos, about $1400 invested. ive aquired a drb since the time of purchase, and im lovin it, so im thinking this wont see much track time really. prolly just collect dust as a shelf queen. kinda sad really. if i knew then what i know now ide have an extra $1400 in the bank. oh well.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
all 3 of my whips. the trifecta i like to call it.

Return to “General Discussion”