chassis tuning secrets

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Xray T2 007

chassis tuning secrets

Postby fixy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:43 am

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone would be able to share their chassis tuning secrets? I've been drifting for about 3 years (racing RC's since the early 80"s) and have been bitten by the counter steer bug! I'm drifting an Xray T2 007 with a front one-way. I found the car almost impossible to drive on any kind of straight section. I found as I added more weight to the front, it helped calm the chassis down (in my mind it should have given more steering and made it harder to drive) and more camber in the front also helped. I've researched this quite a bit and haven't found any secrets. with CS set ups there is a huge variation between what people run. any thought or input would be appreciated, thanks, James

Valiant_012
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA-05vdf

Re: chassis tuning secrets

Postby Valiant_012 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

Hi fixy.
In my experience the best thing you can do is practice. Chassis wise try to modify you're steering for more angle and less ackerman angle.
Personaly I prefer hard front suspension and soft rear without a one way.

fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby fixy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi, thank you for the reply. ya practice is really important, and I totally need more even after all these years?? what I was hoping to solve is having to fight the car so much. my belief is, if your fighting the chassis, it's not set up right. in my expirence a chassis that you have to fight distracts you from running the lines and speed you want. just wondering if there was a set up trick I was missing. I've been playing with different tuning (springs, camber, shock oil/angle, and roll centers) and was thinking of removing the droop screws so it's more like tuning an off road chassis. (still not totally used to on road chassis tuning :roll: ) hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Valiant_012
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TA-05vdf

Postby Valiant_012 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Yeah I back my droop screws right off too. I think that CS drifting is so different to any other type of car use that you have to re learn how to do it.
I have found in the past that people who have had turns with my CS set ups that have never drifted RC cars before pick it up much more quickly than people who have been 50/50 drifting.
When you run you're CS set up try to think of everything in curves, You,re car wont want to go straight. I find that this helps me alot.

fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby fixy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am

re learn?? at my age? ha ha! guess I have some real work to do! thanks

Banggotan
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Streetjam OTA-R31 CS1.83

Postby Banggotan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Valiant_012 wrote:Yeah I back my droop screws right off too. I think that CS drifting is so different to any other type of car use that you have to re learn how to do it.
I have found in the past that people who have had turns with my CS set ups that have never drifted RC cars before pick it up much more quickly than people who have been 50/50 drifting.
When you run you're CS set up try to think of everything in curves, You,re car wont want to go straight. I find that this helps me alot.

I have to totally agree with you..

The longer you've played 50/50, the more patient you have to be when learning to countersteer, and gotta change the mindset too cuz its a whole different driving style
[Wanten Junkies Syndicate]
[Yokomo DRB : Ketsukaki 1.85 + 50 Degrees Steering Lock]
http://www.rcdorishop.com

fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby fixy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 am

thanks for the input guys, I'm going to set my car up as a counter steer car again. put it back to 50/ 50 for the Vancouver auto show then ended up having to miss the comp. so now it's back to counter steer!! hope the next comp will allow CS cars. one question, I heard one of the guys say that if your CS car is set up properly that hitting the brakes in mid drift and the car does not spin out, your set up is good. any thoughts on this? thanks James

springninja
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05R

Postby springninja » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 am

My car doesn't spin out when the brakes are hit, just slides at a tangent to drift, when off throttle or braking your car should get more angle, but not spin. Have you got a one-way in the front of your CS car? That makes it much harder to drive (spins more easily) but looks much more aggressive, quicker switches. If you do have a one-way, try a diff in the front instead.
When my car was first CS'd it had a one-way and was very hard to drive as I was used to the 50/50 one-way handbrake effect, but once I put a diff in it was much easier to drive, less twitchy.
If you're not running a one-way, soften the rear springs, give more rear grip, maybe turn your brakes down on transmitter if you can.
Practice is hugely important too, I just couldn't even do a lap without crashing on every corner first off. I'm getting better now, but still nowhere near D-Like skill.

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 am

running w a front one-way keeps the car more consistent, and something less to keep track of and/or maintain.
"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby fixy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 am

I'm running a one-way in the front with zero drag brake on my brushless system so it runs pretty free with no power. I was wondering how it would handle with a regular diff in the front, so I might give that a try sometime too. keep the replies coming, I'm hoping this will turn into a thread with a lot of tuning info to help out everyone. the next drift meet I've got my xray set up with the shocks more vertical, like they seem to like in Japan. see how it works. thanks, actually my real motive is to beat the Jester again (he fell prey to my nerves of ice), he came to Vancouver, stomped the competition, and took our drift king crown home to the U.S. congrats other James!

fixy
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby fixy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 am

just thought I would follow up on my last post. the shocks mounted more vertical worked great, I've also switched to associated buggy springs, really soft! my CS ratio is low, around 40%, but I find it's a good training tool. the car drives counter steer, but is easy to drive so I can re-train my driving style. I can keep up with 50/50 cars with this set up. I'm running no oil in the shocks, shocks as vertical as possible with the rears mounted one hole in on top. my pulleys are 38/16 front, and 34/20 rear. camber 1.5 front and rear. quick roll centers stock. steering angle just where the cvd's start to bind, ackerman reduced. so now I have an easy to drive starting point.

Return to “General Discussion”