Yokomo Drift Master (another option)

Post all of your steering modifications to get more angle and to fix ackerman on your chassis.
sil40sx
CSJ Elite
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster LE

Yokomo Drift Master (another option)

Postby sil40sx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Here is my solution for increased steering without ackerman.

By changing the positions of the ball studs it, gets rid of the Ackerman. Then by shaving the end hubs it allow for a little more increase in steering, but if you also shave the inner arms as well to allow the center ball joint from the servo to clear, you get even more steering.

And to go even one step further, if you change out the 4 deg Caster hubs for something bigger like D-like 7deg hubs it adds even more steering lock.
With all these mods, I can make the wheels touch the shocks, even with 7mm offset wheels!

http://sil40sxblog.blogspot.com/

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Re: Yokomo Drift Master (another option)

Postby oski83 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

WOW!!!!!! Ver nice Mike. I love the 7* degree C-hubs!!! How can we get them here in the states?! :up:
Last edited by oski83 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sil40sx
CSJ Elite
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Driftmaster LE

Postby sil40sx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks! I spl ordered mine from some friends in japan a while ago but it took a long time for them to get them. Sorry I don't have a reliable source.

oski83
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DP CS/ Yokomo LCG

Postby oski83 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 am

Oh OK..no problems..My friend living in Ebiraku (sp?) outside of Tokyo comes to back NJ alot to visit family and for work so I can ask him to bring it to me...he's coming in Jan 28 (next week) He is OK to bring anything from Yokomo or Japan since he goes to Yatabe all the time

Do you have a part # for 7* so I can ask him to see if the local hobby stores by his house have any?

Thanks

ILoveMy350z
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: yokomo sdw

Postby ILoveMy350z » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

hey there, i like the easyness to this mod and i have done the same out of some carbon fiber. how do you get the new arms to stay in its place? mine keep moving and turning themselves. i have locked them down as good as i can without stripping the screws. i thought of using clamp washers, but i don't want to tear up the aluminum blue :? \
thanks
A practitioner is someone who practices until they get it right, A perfectionist is someone who practices until they never get it wrong.....

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DRB

Postby danhfvcsd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

You need to mount it with 2 screws instead of just one... or maybe add some sort of "bump stop" (could be something as simple as a screw) on either side of the piece to stop the movement? Might not have enough room for that tho?
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

ILoveMy350z
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby ILoveMy350z » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 pm

just found part number sd-202l15 http://www.driftspeed.com/index.php?mai ... e&pID=2198
which is the driftmaster steering rack with 2 screw holes on each side!!! perfect, now i can finish my no ackerman mod i've been trying to do for EVER!!!
YAH BABY!! time for the drift monster to feel the pain! :twisted:
A practitioner is someone who practices until they get it right, A perfectionist is someone who practices until they never get it wrong.....

tokeyo83
Banned and Dumb
Drift Chassis: HB Cyclone TC-H / Yokomo MR4-TC DP (WIP)

Postby tokeyo83 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:38 pm

ILoveMy350z wrote:just found part number sd-202l15 http://www.driftspeed.com/index.php?mai ... e&pID=2198
which is the driftmaster steering rack with 2 screw holes on each side!!! perfect, now i can finish my no ackerman mod i've been trying to do for EVER!!!
YAH BABY!! time for the drift monster to feel the pain! :twisted:

the holes are too close together so the screw heads wont be level

sil40sx is using that same rack

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:02 am

That's true... but there is a way to do it, if you screw one in from the top, and the other in from the bottom, the heads are on opposite sides, so cannot interfere with one another :)

This is the way i'd try it...

See the short black 'extenders' he has made up, there in the pic above man? If you extend that lower ASWELL (towards the rear of the chassis) you could use the "lower extended" section to mount the servo's turnbuckle ball stud, and you could use the 2x existing holes in the aluminium part you linked, to securely mount the whole "extended" piece itself, and then mount the steering's turnbuckles the same as the picture above =)

Doing it that way you'll have your 'extenders' securely mounted with 2 screws (oh, btw - you will have to thread the first screw in from the bottom, and the second through the top, as the holes are so close together as tokeyo83 mentioned :))
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

ILoveMy350z
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby ILoveMy350z » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 am

man, i hope i didn't just waste $25.............
i didn't even think of the holes being so close together. has anyone used these before. how much of a difference is it just using the holes itself with a ballstud, im not thinking much of a difference.

does anyone want the stock one? i will sell for $13 shipped.

danhfvcsd
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby danhfvcsd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 pm

You could probably get away with spacing one higher than the other too man :)
Yokomo DRB 100% CS

ILoveMy350z
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby ILoveMy350z » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

that is what i was going to try.... i hope it all works, if not i will probably sell the driftmaster and keep the red and black drb.
did you do anything to your sdw steering?
mine is so dialed in, but such a pain to work on.
wish i could drift with you dan........
there isn't many people with any skill were im at, so its hard to get some comp. i have 2 remotes for my cars, but noone can really get the hang of it. i guess it's personal persona, you just have to have the coordination and feel. only one person here can really stay next to me, and he can't race a lot, busy!

i will finish my thread once i get the parts and put it together.

thanks

Return to “Steering”