TC-FD steering mods WIP

Post all of your steering modifications to get more angle and to fix ackerman on your chassis.
TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Hot Bodies TC-FD

Re: TC-FD steering mods WIP

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 pm

630rick wrote:hey great bridge ill ask my guys at midwest slides if they are interested

Thanks man. I'm stoked you like it. ! of 3 is spoken for, but i greatly appreciate you asking around if anyone else is interested.

robb41488
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: HB TC-FD; HPI Pro-D; HB tc

Postby robb41488 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm

peice looks good man. cant wait to build my car now lol

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Hotbodies TC-FD

Postby 630rick » Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 pm

so what parts will be needed to complete this, wide angel shafts, yokomo drb knuckles. what c-hubs an also what turnbuckles are you using?

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 pm

robb41488 wrote:peice looks good man. cant wait to build my car now lol

Thanks man. Don't forget to rotate the front diff carrier to raise the diff to the highest position.

[quote"630rick"]so what parts will be needed to complete this, wide angel shafts, yokomo drb knuckles. what c-hubs an also what turnbuckles are you using?[/quote]

Wide angle shafts & drb knuckles (I use the plastic ones). I use stock c hubs.. I tried some yokomo 7* faster c hubs but lost alot of steering angle. For turnbuckles I used Traxxas Revo for ends (the large ones, & trim them down a bit.) and a 4 mm threaded stud. You could also use 8.32 All Thread rod. Actually anything similar will work.

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Fri May 04, 2012 8:38 pm

thanks

Cocopah
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Hot bodies TC-FD

Postby Cocopah » Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 pm

This steering bridge did a perfect job. I ended up dremeling the steering bridge to give my belt a little more slack. Im using the HB Counter-Steer kit with a HB front one way. I drilled a hole right behind the kingpin on stock knuckles and shaved them. I installed Jetracing 8° C hubs, they work perfectly, no loss of steering angle, and they do a good job of lining the steering knuckles with the steering bridge. Overall very satisfied with this product.

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 am

That looks fantastic Cocopah!

Could you post a pic of your modded knuckles so that others members who don't have drb knuckles can do the same? Also, where did you get the Jetracing c hubs from? Thanks for posting.

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Sun May 06, 2012 11:24 am

TheSCOrpionKing i found them at http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_info ... cx-p-16070

yes please post pics would like to use that mod myself

Cocopah
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Cocopah » Sun May 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Heres a couple pics of the knuckles. All I did was drill a hole behind the innermost setting, cut it, and rounded out the edges. As for the C hubs, I ordered them from Jethobbies. Their website was messed up, I just emailed them and they sent me an invoice.

http://www.jethobby.com/_Jet%20Racing/CYL-28P.html
http://www.jethobby.com/_shop/product/product_detail.php?id=104

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Sun May 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the pics & the links. I'm definitely gonna look into those c hubs. I tried getting the yokomo c hubs to work but I couldn't trim them enough without them being super weak & flimsy. Did you modify your stock cvd's for more angle? I found that mine bound up slightly past stock angles and would chatter if forced.

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 am

did you drill closer to the tire or the chassis, kinda looks like you drilled in the center of the knuckle or was it one of the corners?

FunkRenegade
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: brokomo DIB

Postby FunkRenegade » Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

It's drilled inline with the kingpin like drb knuckles.

Cocopah
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Cocopah » Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 pm

FunkRenegade is correct, it's inline with the kingpin. Right behind the hole closest to the cvds. I have not experienced any binding with the stock cvds, atleast with the front oneway, I have not tried it with any other diff though. I have also noticed with the c-hubs it has given it more travel. Atleast with the links I'm using, it was barely able to bottom out, it's still doesn't have stock travel but it's more than I need. I use 2 shock ends from a Losi Mini 8ight with a 20mm 3mm screw which I cut the head off of. They are the perfect distance without having to shave the shock ends what so ever, atleast for my setup. If I need more camber I could shave them a little, but it's okay for now.

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Just wondering how everyone else who purchased a bridge is liking them?

natronbm2006
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: YOKOMO DRB, OVERDOSE VACULA

Postby natronbm2006 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:57 pm

I love the bridge, great quality, I haven't had the chance to run my chassis because i am still building it.

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Tue May 29, 2012 1:16 pm

natronbm2006 wrote:I love the bridge, great quality, I haven't had the chance to run my chassis because i am still building it.

Hurry up and finish it!

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am

if anyone is interested in using smaller turnbuckles rather than cutting larger ends, try these out have them on my chassis works great plus you can still tune these. 3 racing - http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2198

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 am

The bridge completes this chassis thanks very much love it!

630rick
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby 630rick » Thu May 31, 2012 10:51 am

i saw in an earlier post you said that 44mm overdose shafts would work would those be these http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12669

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm

630rick wrote:i saw in an earlier post you said that 44mm overdose shafts would work would those be these http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12669

Glad you are liking the bridge. those would the the CVD's I run. I think I need to grease mine again as they have developed a slight chatter. I'm pretty sure most any wide angle 44mm shaft will work except for the OTA/TEH shafts because those use a different bearing size. I have run Square 46mm cvds before. they fit, but when the suspension wasfully compressed, they bottomed out in the drive cup preventing full compression.

ultraracingph
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Hot Bodies TCFD and MST FS01D

Postby ultraracingph » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 am

Been reading on this thread and have learned a lot on how to improve my TCFD's steering angle. I was wondering if you still have any of the steering bridges left? I'm interested in getting one :) Also, I was wondering what prompted you to change the material from Aluminum to Carbon Fiber? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ultraracingph on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

ultraracingph
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Hot Bodies TCFD and MST FS01D

Postby ultraracingph » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 am

630rick wrote:if anyone is interested in using smaller turnbuckles rather than cutting larger ends, try these out have them on my chassis works great plus you can still tune these. 3 racing - http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2198

Oh this tip is very helpful! Would you mind showing us a photo of your setup using these turnbuckles? Which one did you use? The medium one or the smallest one? I've ordered one already and hopefully it will be here soon! Thanks for the heads up! :up:

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am

ultraracingph wrote:Been reading on this thread and have learned a lot on how to improve my TCFD's steering angle. I was wondering if you still have any of the steering bridges left? I'm interested in getting one :) Laso, I was wondering what prompted you to change the material from Aluminum to Carbon Fiber? Thanks in advance.

PM sent on how to get one of these CF bridges.

I made the change from aluminum to CF for strength purposes. My aluminum prototype would bend in a crash. It could be straightened but alignment was never the same. I choose CR over Titanium for 3 reasons. 1) it is significantly cheaper 2) for the thickness of the material we need to use, it is still significantly stronger 3) the weave of the CF that we were able to source looks exactly like the CF that Hot Bodies used throughout this kit.

The CF bridge has been fantastic. Maintaining proper, consistent wheel alignment. And has not shown any fatigue after numerous crashes. In fact, on my last putting, I broke the mounting ears off my servo case when I misjudged and slammed into a concrete pole. The LF wheel and the servo horn took all the force. The CF bridge survived, but the servo didn't.

Steve K
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: HB TC-FD, SPRINT 2

Postby Steve K » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:56 am

Pm'd about buying one of these bridges.

I love this thread.

TheSCOrpionKing
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby TheSCOrpionKing » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok. Since I have gotten about 4 people PM me about this CF steering bridge in that last week, I am considering trying to get them cut by another machinist since the current guy is in the middle of an equipment upgrade.

I howeverm don't want to eat the cost of having 9-10 made, only to sit on them forever. So can I get a show of hands of how many people are seriously interested in purchasing one?

Thanks

Return to “Steering”