New to cs and need a chassis!

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya tt01 Drift

New to cs and need a chassis!

Postby drifter_0089 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 am

Hey guys I'm new to cs have done a bit of reading and was thinking of buying th Sakura d3 but have seen alot of negative comments so unsure of now what to get, basically looking at the easiest chassis for someone who is new and won't need much tinkering any suggestions would be great, iced one a bit of reading on other chassis but still Unsure, thanks drifter

digi16v
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: TUB0576%CS / OTAR31CS77%

Re: New to cs and need a chassis!

Postby digi16v » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I got one for sale here.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2903

chiefy707
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA03F Pro DSpec, MST XXX-D VIP

Postby chiefy707 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm

MST MS-01D RTR if you need electronics ($290 on ebay)

MST MS-01D S if you have electronics (about $220)

Both cars get you 54%cs, FOW, rear spool, FRP/CF upper decks, oil filled shocks, f/r cvds, full ball bearings, and something most other cars can't match... 60deg steering

As a former Tamiya fanboy I gotta say MST got me off that bandwagon. I actually like the feeling of a box stock MS RTR (on concrete and carpet) over my VDF. My buddy bought the RTR for his wife and there was a time I actually had more fun drifting it than my XXX-D!

I just don't think you can go wrong with anything in the MST lineup! The MS, FS, and XXX chassis are all creamy like that. The VIP kits do cost alot but compare it to something like a Tamiya VDF and you end up spending less in money, time, and effort.

Another car that's great bang for the buck is the Eagle R31 16FM. Although quality may be hit or miss. Yokomos are awesome but you may find yourself parts hunting. The Sakura is a good car but that too can be hit or miss.

Going used is a good way to find something for cheap too.

You can say I'm lazy but I'd rather be out on the track driving and practicing than being online looking for parts or searching for setups.
TA03F Pro DSpec MST XXX-D VIP
SF Giants 2012 WS Champs! SF 49ers SJ Sharks

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 pm

i completly agree with the parts point u make, i hate finding parts for cars, if i was to go the yokomo road i was going to spend the $220 on the car then buy around $80 worth of spares so im not hunting, how hard are the parts for the mst? thats really the only thing im worried about

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm

also it doesnt say anywhere that these are cs out of the box,is that true or are they cs from the box?

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05 VDF

Postby tatmanfish » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm

You get what you pay for. Cheap stuff usually mean cheap parts and that means replacing them more often. After messing with things like the sprint 2, the higher end chassis are worth the extra money imo. There are set up a lot cleaner, layouts are cleaner, often easier to work on.

Yokomo or even tamiya vdfs are nice setups and have a huge product support with lots of option parts. Most chassis dont come with CS brand new. If price is a factor id try to find a used high end chassis with cs already. Only downfall to those two brands is that most parts have to be ordered online often from japan or china so shipping times can be long unless yoh pay a hunch for faster shipping.

I battled with a couple cheap chassis and sold after getting tired of modding things myself just to get stuff to work and many of them are poorly designed as fact as layout. Meaning you have to take a ton of stuff apart to replace a part or put on a new one.

Sakuras have a drastic range of reviews from terrible to great. I havent entertained the idea of one yet because the cheap price scares me. It leads me to think many good reviews are more influenced by the fact it so much cheaper. Could be wrong, but after messing with the cheap chassis before, I have no faith in going back to them. I also race 1/8 scale buggies and 1/10 onroad. I can honestly say ive never seen anyone with a cheap chassis have success. Its a little different with drifting as setup and driver skill makes up for a lot.

Honestly id do as much research as you can and select what you think would work best for you. I run a tamiya vdf because the parts are a little easier to get and find and most local hobby stores can order parts for you. Yokomo is a little more drift oriented, but most local hobby stores cant get the part and its almost exclusively online.

The thing youll run into is most guys think whatever they are running is the best. So take most peoples opinions on chassis with a grain of salt....unless you come across guys that have had them all. Even then peoples prefernces are often based on different things. Best of luck bro, if you love drifting, youll love the hobby.

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm

thank you for that!^

im headed towards the dib, and buying spares at the same time seems like my best option and really want a brand new chassis!

chiefy707
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby chiefy707 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Where it says CS pulley set in the image, it shows 1.54. 54%

If eBay is your friend, MST are absolutely no problem to get. Find the Ebay seller Hobbybest. Every kit and every part is available.

I've found a shop that has MST stuff on the shelf both in the US and in the Philippines.

Tatman's last paragraph hit the nail on the head. It's different for everyone and you just need to find what works for you. Amen to that.

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 am

i didnt even notice that ^^

chiefy707
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby chiefy707 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 am

I meant to add to my post that the reason I say MST is that you're good to go out of the box. You're not going to dig into your spares or scour the parts hangers at the LHS trying to come up with some DIY mod for KPI or steering. You're not going to be on Yahoo.jp hoping to find rare Japanese parts made for your chassis. You're not going to break out the Hudy hinge pin reamers, dremel, and xacto hobby knife to clean up some shoddy mouldings.
The only times you'll be looking for parts are when you need spares, tuning options, or you're just looking for that extra bling. I've driven every MST chassis in different states of tune and every one of them has felt great to me.This is why I always answer MST when people ask the , "whats the best..." question.

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:15 am

completly understand, but coming from OZ its hard to get parts for almost anything. the hobby shops local to me arent the best so everything i get will be online...fastest shipping to me is raceanddriftjapan.com looks like ill prob go the dib, as if i dont like it i can just use it for 50/50

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo mr-4tc, DIB, DRB

Postby gerakatom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:06 pm

if you go dib read the advice thread i started.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2875
good advice on what upgrades you'll want right away.
be warned this will get expensive. if your not worried about the $ go for it, otherwise i would take these guy's advice and go with an mst.

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm

thanks mate, hows your experience with the DIB been? any do`s or dont`s?

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:02 am

honestly i havnt built it yet. i got as far as gluing and covering the deck and thats it. been too busy. i just ordered the 2 grade up kits today. set me back over 200 bucks. theres a glimpse into what youll be spending eventually. lol i havnt even built it and im about 400 in upgrades already. lol

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 am

yeah i dont plan on gettig the carbon goods for it as theres no real need for it lol

gerakatom
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby gerakatom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 am

alloy, yeah, theryre mostly for bling. not necessary. lol im a sucker for that stuff though.

drifter_0089
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby drifter_0089 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 am

yeah, i just want a cs chassis, nothing flash just something that works

Return to “General Discussion”